1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

at a crossroads..

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by abezz, Feb 25, 2018.

1. abezz

abezz Peer Supporter

i had been doing much better the last 4 months my back had been going out all the time. today i reached over to grab something off the bed and i got a sharp pain and it seems im having a flare up. really stuck as to how to feel my feelings or how to find the root emotion or cause of my pain. also dont know how to avoid being scared because im trying to be strong but its so hard. also is it true that if pin is returning for no reason i am on my way to healing? i remember reading that in steve o’s book. it doesnt make sense that ive done so many physical activities these past 4 months and then me simply reaching to grab my phone off the bed causes my back to “go out”

2. iwire

iwire Peer Supporter

Is there any significance to who you were planning to call? or what y9ou were planning to do with your phone? that might trigger a flare from a psychological standpoint?

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Yep, what iwire said.

Here's my story:
    About a year after I started doing this work, I was vacuuming my carpeted stairs, and I swear, the instant that I thought: "Sh**, these stairs need to be properly cleaned and I don't have time" I experienced a screaming pain that went from one side of my lower back to the other, settling painfully on one side. And it stayed. I tried to ignore it, and I went to the gym a few days later but it got way worse after that, to the point where I was using a ski pole to get around, five days after it happened.

Note that the thought I had was not deep or traumatic. The implied "should" and the negativity of "I don't have time" probably go to negative emotions about self-worth that my brain wanted to repress, and the fact that vacuuming IS kind of hard on the back provided a perfect opportunity for a lovely muscle spasm.

In desperation after five days, I called my favorite PT, who was too busy to fit me into his schedule - but he suggested a little book by a New Zealand chiropractor whose introduction states: "80% of the clients who come to me with back pain do not need an adjustment". Which I loved. He provided a short set of simple exercises that ranged from gentle- to modified- to full-Cobra (yoga) positions, culminating in being able to do a short set of full Cobra push-ups.

So I did the exercises - which only took a few minutes a few times a day. But to me, his most important message was this: "You can totally recover from back pain. It does not mean that you are permanently damaged, or that you're disabled and it certainly doesn't mean that you are doomed to have pain the rest of your life, so stop thinking like that". I'm paraphrasing, but that's the message I got, loud and clear. Of course, being committed to the knowledge of TMS, I was wide open to that message.

I was astonishingly better in 24 hours, and significantly better every day after that until I had no pain at all in less than a week.

Look, I'm not a TMS purist, and I really never have been - when it comes to self-healing and taking charge of my immune system, I've actually gone beyond Dr. Sarno to fully embrace the theories of Dr. Mate - who many people think is kinda out there. In any case, I firmly believe that we all sometimes need a little help - a little boost from outside interventions that help us visualize a healing outcome. I don't care whether it's an OTC pain reliever, or a little heat, or ice, or hands-on therapy of some sort - any of these things are okay once in a while when things are going badly - as long as we use them mindfully, and consciously turn our brains towards soothing and self-healing.

Not wanting to go through that again, when I vacuum now, I really try to be a lot more mindful of my thoughts, as well as my posture.

HattieNC and plum like this.
  4. abezz

abezz Peer Supporter

no
    no actually was just grabbing it as i was on my way to work

5. iwire

iwire Peer Supporter

hmmm... so I guess my next thought would be---- is there any reason work might trigger this? Maybe this strategy doesn't apply to you---but
    I am trying to use this process myself --- to see if I can identify something that is happening subconsciously that might be flaring my symptoms when they happen---