1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

ASMR Tingles....

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Baseball65, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

I am sick of Acronyms. I am just gonna call it "It"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_sensory_meridian_response (Autonomous sensory meridian response - Wikipedia)

That being said.... I was searching for certain recorded sounds on youtube the other night. I was miserable with a busted tooth (waiting for surgery) and I remembered a 'secret' I have known for as long as I can remember. I can get lost in 'it'

There are certain sounds that can trigger this 'place' I can get to in my head. Besides feeling OMG amazing, It always ends up knocking me out into the most blissful sleep. I have used every drug on the face of the planet and the only thing I can compare it too is Heroin/Morphine. Complete peace, bliss, euphoria...whatever...zonk.

When I was younger 'it' would just happen. As I got older I started to notice 'it' happened under certain circumstances. A few of them I saved for special times when I am alone and really needed it...felt like a guilty pleasure. It was Usually triggered by certain voices

Nothing sexual about it, however when Immersed in it I am useless to the world. If it begins while I am at work or something I have to 'unhook' it lest I not be able to do my job.

Of course when I realized the other night it's not just some peculiarity of my own, I thought about TMS sufferers. It is like the anti-tms

I did read Plum's old string on this subject. This isn't like the pleasant meditative effect of white noise like a river or a storm...and it is NOT getting in touch with my feminine side. I am about as 'toxic' of a male you will meet.... it is a completely separate psycho-physiological phenomena in it's own right and definitely needs to be looked into.

Soo...anybody else get it?

Hamed and MWsunin12 like this.
  2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, I think my original thread went quickly off-topic and given that in pre-youtube days I had never heard or known of anyone experiencing it before, I simply let it be. Some time later @Forest fused a new thread onto the old but I wasn't on the forum then.

Same here.

It truly is. It is nothing like deep relaxation or any state induced by recreational or medicinal drugs. It's a beautifully natural sensation and the most exquisite feeling the body is capable of.

I'm interested to see if there are other people here who experience it.

Baseball65 likes this.
  3. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

I got this often, almost daily, as a kid. Usually when I felt I had some freedom. Then, it would come in waves for 20 0r 30 minutes.
    Now, I'll have it once in a while in a moment of aloneness or feeling safe...but always when I feel free.
    It will stay for a minute or two. Interesting to think about having it possibly start with music or a sound.

Maybe this isn't what you experience. Mine is similar to what is described in the wiki, from the scalp, neck, back between the shoulder blades and upper arms and chest.

Thanks for posting this. I never knew it had a name.

4. Baseball65

Mine usually starts around my neck. i am always seated when it happens (which probably explains why it almost never happens at work). Once I become aware that 'It' is happening, I usually grab an unsharpened pencil and start dragging it over the skin on my arm. If it feels like it's stopping, I just touch my neck again and it resets. Because it's like being high I have never really timed it or seen how long I can stay that way...anything that 'thought filled' would preclude it from happening.

Like I said...really similar to Smack, except with none of the unconsciousness or grossness associated with drugs. Maybe that's why I was a dope fiend?...trying to get somewhere like 'there'

I have yet to really try these videos and see if they actually can conjure it up for me.

5. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

I am so intrigued.... :bookworm::headphone:

In the past I tried to listen to spoken ASMR video's but they annoyed the hell out of me. Last night I found a sounds-only video which was strangely relaxing and pleasant. I felt kind of a sensation on my scalp, but nothing like you guys describe.

Is this feeling you talk about similar to when somebody washes your hair or uses a scalp massager, or unexpectedly strikes a finger over your spine??:happy:

6. Baseball65

This is one of those peculiar things...I ASSUMED other people all got it. I have based most of the presumptions in my life on the posit that we are all by and large , very similar. That being said from the comment sections on articles and the few forum posts available it seems this isn't true regarding this particular phenomenon. All of us like to be treated well...all of us but the most callous love the serenity of a waterfall, the roar of the ocean...this isn't that. It's like sitting on the edge of hypnosis and deciding to jump in.

I wouldn't know if what you speak of is it Gigalos as I have never had anybody wash my hair or massage my scalp (in memory) ... I think the key thing which might differentiate it from that would be the Audio trigger... the Lack of the necessity of touch.

I want to learn more about it. I wish the internet had more studious articles on it instead of all these videos trying to provoke it.

7. Gigalos

Well, I am not going to try smack to find out what this feeling is like, so I guess I'll need to accept that I am not really susceptible to it. :(

8. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

Hi Baseball,
    Sounds like something I would really enjoy. Yet, I don't think I have actually experienced this as described on the referenced website.

BTW I think it is great that you are a 'toxic' male. Male energy has its merits.

Lainey

Lizzy likes this.
  9. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Why is it so hard to describe?
    I preface anything I write next with this because it is almost as tricky to explain as TMS is to someone who has never heard of it.

ASMR (also not a huge fan of acronyms) is triggered by sounds or sometimes by actions that combine sound with a delicious sensuality. For example when I was a little girl I was part of a dance company that put on annual performances. Backstage I used to watch the older girls have their hair and make-up done and the ministration was profoundly pleasurable to watch. As @Baseball65 says this sensation goes way beyond simple relaxation.

The only way I can describe it is to say it's a bit like the way you can get goosebumps or chills or shudders across the back of your neck and shoulders when having 'the someone walked over my grave' feeling. The sensation is as keen and as intense as that only it feels really, really good.

It also feels very intimate and sometimes such as when watching someone brush another persons hair, it can possess a lovely kind of benign voyeuristic quality. Like you are apart and yet part of the act.

Also as a kid, I remember having it while watching people rake up the fallen leaves in autumn. There the textures are crunchy and swooshy. Books and paper and giftwrap can be warm and comforting in the tingles they induce (how I miss working in a bookshop). I've experienced it in a swanky department store when they wrap an expansive purchase in tissues...

It comes unbidden to me. I can't intentionally trigger it (how I envy that skill). It's sadly diminished over time (thanks TMS) but I am now wondering if I can perhaps nurture the tendency and bring it back into my life more often.

@Baseball65, I agree with @Lainey. Male energy and masculinity is gorgeous. It really saddens me to see how it has become diminished, insulted and degraded in the modern world. I find those attitudes to be toxic. You are more than fine by me.

Lizzy and Lainey like this.
  10. Gigalos

Btw Baseball, having your head massaged or shampood, by a kind lady with a soft touch preferably, gives a feeling that is extremely relaxing as a result of the touching and the warm water. It also gives me a gentle, pleasant shiver (don't know how to describe it) down my neck. I realize that it is also very sound intensive, as every sound is transmitted directly through your skull to your ear drums. I just typed it in on Youtube, and it seems to be a pretty popular ASMR subject. For example: . I really loved having my hair washed, but sadly I have no reason to visit a hair dresser nowadays other than to apply a trimmer at setting 3mm...

oh wow, I am listening to it while I write this down and suddenly I feel it.... it tingles down my neck, under my upper arms, my shoulder blades, it feels like a there is a slight breeze blowing over my scalp.... weird and it feels pretty nice.... :joyful::smuggrin:
    thanx for bringing this ASRM-stuff up, Baseball!!

Lainey likes this.
  11. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

Hmm
    I have had this experience while getting by hair washed at the salon. The beautician skillfully supplements the wash with a very, very, soothing, sensual head massage. Yummm.
    Lainey

12. Kerrj74

Kerrj74 Well known member

I had this all the time as a child (I am 44 now). Usually triggered by certain soothing voices for me (typically female). It has only happened a few times as an adult. I have tried 1000’s of ASMR videos online and none of them trigger it for me. It is like the deepest trance-like relaxed state for me. I worked with a woman a few years ago who had a soothing voice that kind of triggered this for me. I used to go out of my way to have her talk to me for that reason! Not completely, but the closest I have encountered since being a child. I wish I could replicate this somehow. Like I said, the ASMR YouTubers dont do it for me.

13. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Jealous:wideyed:

14. Hamed

Hamed New Member

Baseball! Yes! I get this too! The first time this happened, that I can remember, was when I was a kid. Now I can't fall asleep easily until I listen to one of these ASMR videos. And I usually have the best night of sleep when I do. Maybe those of us sensitive to this "anti-tms" are just prone to pain chronicity on the flip side of things. When you think about it, the trigger of "it" is literally the polar opposite of anxiety/fear/rage. It's a visceral peacefulness that slows everything down mentally and puts us in a state of euphoria. My two cents anyway...