1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Asking From Sporty TMSers Clarification

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Seeking, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Seeking

Seeking New Member

Hi there,

I'm new to this and one of the parts i've read is that we need to give up all physio and other means of treating symptoms that reinforce the idea that this is all structural vs repressed emotions. One thing i do have a question for people doing a lot of sports...is doing certain glut strengthening and rolling and stretching muscles out a form of reinforcing the idea of structural problems or can this be considered just part of maintenance after doing heavy sports?
    Also, is there a way to define if certain twinges in the back or sensitivity is due to TMS or just a particularly heavy workout?

Thanks for any help out there. I've truly been learning from all of you.

2. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Good questions! No, I think that basic warmup and cool down maintenance exercises for sports are great! Don’t give those up. They help your body get blood flowing before a heavy workout or game, definitely have nothing to do with TMS. Stopping your PT exercises is a way to divorce from the idea that you have a structural injury causing pain. A structural injury needs structural treatment but won’t help with TMS since it’s not getting at the true pain source.

As for post-workout soreness- delayed onset muscle soreness is normal and not TMS...should last just a day or 2. And If you injure yourself during a sport you’ll know immediately!

Be wary of any “twinges” the next day...sounds more like TMS to me. Sensitivity also speaks to TMS. Many people with chronic TMS pain have hypersensitivity in the area with pain and have pain even with light touch!

Seeking and Tennis Tom like this.
  3. Seeking

Seeking New Member

Thanks so much @MindBodyPT! This helps to clarify some things. i'm trying not to rub sore spots like i normally do to sensitive areas just to give up the idea that it's actually something wrong. Now have to get over the fear of running to really test my belief in the TMS diagnosis!

MindBodyPT likes this.