1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Article "The myth of good posture"

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by riv44, May 30, 2023.

1. riv44

riv44 Well known member

JanAtheCPA and skhs like this.
  2. riv44

riv44 Well known member

What an old picture of me! I should update it- I'm older. Anyway, after this week's colonoscopy, I have a hip replacement to look forward to. A new joint will bring back my mobility, and I think mindfulness will help me heal. But not exclusively--I am signed on for physical therapy.
    The beloved doctor did say that before embarking on his program, people should investigate whether the tumor indicates medical intervention, whether their joint is disintegrated beyond repair, whether the polyp is malignant. Please do not ever avoid mammograms, colonoscopies, bone density tests and so on. What we call TMS is basically one thing, and one thing alone- anxiety. Fear. It sucks to have pain, to lose mobility, to get older. One should be able to question one's doctors and this requires knowledge and taking control. I am being treated for some GI disorders that may have their roots in TMS, but over time there is structural damage. For a while I tried to let the hip situation resolve my treating it as mind-body, and I lost valuable time.

Ellen and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks for bringing this issue up. It is always important to rule out medical/structural problems before treating our symptoms as TMS. I made this mistake recently when I assumed my GI problems were Irritable Bowel Syndrome related to an increase in anxiety. After 18 months of trying to address the anxiety to improve my GI symptoms, I learned I have an autoimmune condition called Celiac Disease. Went gluten free and my GI symptoms have resolved. However, I do know that an increase in stress likely triggered the autoimmune condition. It's all so interconnected.

Dorado likes this.
  4. riv44

riv44 Well known member

Yes, I have IBS too and am getting ready for another colonoscopy. There is a huge mind-body element, but also structural element. Might say in inherited a TMS life, along with arthritis. It's no longer black and white. My eating disorder 40 years ago or more? MBS. The damages caused- physical.
    I'm going to try the forum

5. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

I naturally slouch just a little bit. I always try to sit or stand with completely proper form, but it feels very unnatural and hurts after a little while. I recently found out in physical therapy (for structural ligament injuries confirmed via MRI, not TMS) that my posture is affected by my overly flexible joints and how I hyperextend so much from Ehlers-Danlos. Even my poms and cheerleading coaches had a hard time with my natural posture and flexibility, which is normally encouraged in other athletes. I was told to watch my knees and lower legs while standing because I hyperextend like crazy, but that it's totally fine for my back to not be 100% straight when sitting down because it’s just not natural for me, and it’s better to avoid potential hyperextension anyway. Plus, as a highly active person who is constantly moving about, my flexibility and hyperextension are why I get these silly injuries without even realizing it.

I don't think good posture is quite as important as a lot of people think. For some of us, perfect form also just isn't natural. I do not have any symptoms - unless I force myself to do something totally unnatural for long periods.

The best words of advice my sports medicine doc gave to me (who has worked with multiple professional sports teams): I want you to just be yourself as much as possible and not worry.