1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Are you Mr. Nice Guy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by IvanSO, Jun 9, 2016.

1. IvanSO

IvanSO New Member

Hi All,

I've just read Dr Glover's No More Mr. Nice Guy and it was a huge eye opener to me, although some parts are too simplistic. Have anyone of you read this?

It's about people-pleasing, goodist, non-confrontational behavior of some men and about how this leads to dissatisfaction in life and problems with women, work, relationships... To this I would add TMS pain!

I never previously thought of my "niceness" as a problem, but now I begin to see that this could be the cause of my pain. Trying to please others instead of satisfying my own needs.

skhs, Brant and Boston Redsox like this.
  2. skhs

skhs Peer Supporter

I've listened to some of his MP3 recordings. Helped with overcoming my self defeating belief, that just having my own preferences or opinion, will somehow offend others and be undesirable.

3. TeriL

TeriL New Member

Ivan: Where can I read No More Mr Nice Guy? I am Mrs nice girl. I'm too concerned about people, their feelings, what their needs are etc. I'm trying to get less concerned about others. I know it's a good trait but I'm in Pain!

4. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

One book that helped me immeasurably with this is 'A Woman in Your Own Right' by Anne Dickson. It's about developing assertiveness and learning to how to nurture self-esteem and erect and maintain boundaries. These are essential tools for any people-pleaser and as you become more comfortable in being strong you'll find it an absolute joy to be compassionate and empathic with people.

Plum

mike2014 likes this.
  5. TeriL

TeriL New Member

Thanks Plum, I will check it out. I know I need to work on self-esteem.

6. EricFeelsThisWay

EricFeelsThisWay Peer Supporter