1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 8 Are you having success at recognizing the emotions connected to your pain?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Miss_Daisy, Jun 19, 2021.

1. Miss_Daisy

Miss_Daisy New Member

I have discovered that my main emotion is worry, which leads to fear, fear leads to anxiety, and anxiety to pain.
    I am in a constant pain, mainly pelvic and abdominal pain. I still cannot shut down this pain which rules my life. I have no social life, I lost most of my friends due to my inability to cope or resolve my pain.

Second question is: how do these emotions make you feel?
    These emotions make me paralyze and tense, leading my muscles in tension. The digestion is also poor lately.
    Also I noticed that my digestion is getting slower these last days, from taking this program 8 days ago. Is there any explanation for this? To me, it feels like I am more tense than ever, like my mind wants me to give up on this and stay in pain forever. It makes me feel sick.

Any advice?

Baseball65 likes this.
  2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Like Sarno says, the whole purpose is to keep you distracted with the symptoms so when you try to do something about it, it either turns up the symptom your having or starts a new one. THAT is actually proof that it's TMS and is also good news, because it means you are doing the right things... keep going and whenever it's distracting you, turn your mind to the realm of the emotions...
    ...and about your posting header. The emotions we feel are called 'perceived emotions' (Sarno, "Mindbody prescripton").... they are probably not what is at the root of the pain.They are like the frosting on a cake.
    Repressed emotions are the cause. We can't really know them because...they're repressed! BUT, by turning our focus towards the perceived ones, we are letting the deepest part of our awareness know that WE know what it is doing, and like all covert operations, tends to shut down once it is no longer covert.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Right now at age 55 I can tell you what was going on when I was 32 and first did this stuff, but I didn't know then..... But I didn't have to figure it all out to get well.... just keep turning my focus away from the symptoms and 'thinking psychological'. Nowadays when I get a mystery shot of a something, my first thought isn't "OMG , what did I hurt?".... my first thought is "OMG.... what am I angry about that I haven't become aware of yet?"

Miss_Daisy and Ellen like this.