1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Are fungal toenail infections TMS?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by nowa, Apr 25, 2020.

Tags:
  1. nowa

nowa Peer Supporter

I have had a fungal infection on my two big toes for years and it has started spreading to other toenails, I have been treating it with salt and coconut oil, but am wondering if it is TMS, it might be better to leave it alone?

2. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

It's probably not something that you will want to do at the moment, what with the Covid-19 epidemic, but I would suggest that you see your GP at some point. I say this because, if your GP's worth their salt, they will offer to take some scrapings from your affected nails and send them off to a lab to have them tested to determine exactly what strain of fungus is causing the problem. My husband's GP did this for him. My husband's nail problem started with his big toe nails and spread to the other nails, just as has happened with your nails, and nothing he bought over-the-counter and tried had worked at all (and he tried all sorts of things, ever hopeful with each remedy would be the one to work). Once the results were back from the lab, his GP prescribed the appropriate anti-fungal treatment that he had to paint on his nails for several months before it got rid of the infection. Even with the right treatment fungus infections can, unfortunately, take an age to get rid of. From my knowledge of my husband's experience, I have to say that I highly doubt that your nails - which are presumably discoloured and possibly gradually thickening - will be due to TMS. A test done on your toe nail scrapings would help to determine this though. In my husband's case he did for many years leave his nails alone, not thinking or worrying about them at all and all they did was gradually get much worse. I also should mention that my husband was also offered an oral anti-fungal by his GP, but declined it as he looked it up on 'Dr Google' and didn't like the sound of the possible side effects, which included adversely affecting the liver.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    TG957 and nowa like this.
  3. nowa

nowa Peer Supporter

my GP is hopeless, and I have tried all the topical OTC treatments, which is why I have reverted to salt and coconut oil...Can you remember exactly what it was that cured his infection?

4. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

No, sorry, it was quite a long time ago. As your GP is hopeless, maybe seeing a suitably qualified and willing podiatrist would be the way to go - someone who is interested in doing more than just scraping off hard skin and cutting nails. Someone I worked with went down this route (it came up in conversation as we used to go swimming in our lunch break and she pointed out how badly her toenails were discolouring). The podiatrist took toenail scrapings and sent them off for testing, but I never did hear how she got on as not long afterwards I left my job. Might be worth ringing around a few podiatrists once they're open again and/or trying to get a personal recommendation if you can. I expect you will have tried it, but a friend of mine used this which cured her toenail fungus https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fungucept-...835478&sprefix=toenail+fungus,aps,133&sr=8-13 She only had one not too badly discoloured big toenail to treat though, so she may have just been lucky and was able to 'nip it in the bud' quickly before it took a substantial hold. I hope you get it sorted.

Balsa11 and nowa like this.
  5. nowa

nowa Peer Supporter

thank you so much, that is all so helpful!

BloodMoon likes this.
  6. Marls

Marls Well known member

Hi Nowa, a great site I would recommend is earthclinic.com which is full of helpful natural remedies. “Ted” was a naturopath in Thailand and started the site. He has a recipe for toenail fungus. cheers marls

nowa and plum like this.
  7. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Nowa, I second @Marls suggestion to visit Earth Clinic. It really is a great site jam-packed with natural remedies which are a much gentler way of soothing symptoms than the big medical cosh.

There is a rich, deeply nested relationship between immunity and stress or TMS whereby we can become vulnerable to horrid things like fungus more easily when we are in emotional pain. I experienced this a couple of years ago with athlete’s foot. It coincided with some nonsense inflicted by my Mother-in-Law which made me incredibly angry. Within a week my poor little toe was itching so much I almost lost my mind. I did try over the counter stuff but nothing helped so I visited Earth Clinic and followed the suggestion to soak the afflicted toe in cider vinegar. It took a while but it did cure it.

As for the emotional healing...

Balsa11, Jeather, TG957 and 1 other person like this.
  8. nowa

nowa Peer Supporter

Thank you Plum and Marls, I will try the Earth Clinic, it sounds good!!

plum likes this.
  9. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

If you have patience to soak your toes in apple cider for 15-20 minutes every day, it totally works. I had fungus on my finger nail. I put apple cider in a small plastic pill bottle and would just stick my finger in the bottle on my walk to work (it is about 20 minutes). In about 6 weeks it healed completely. I used maybe 6 ounces of apple cider in total, since I replenished my cider in the bottle every week. With toes, it would be much worse, I don't have time or patience to keep my feet in the tub with apple cider :=).

Balsa11, plum and nowa like this.
  10. nowa

nowa Peer Supporter

Thank you TG, I will try it...do you mean that you didn't change the cider vinegar for a week, but used the same stuff for a week? (That would help because it is so expensive)

11. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

@nowa I used an old sandwich box tilted on towels to allow me to dip the offending toe in easily. This was during The World Cup so I enjoyed watching that (for the first time. I became quite passionate about it!).

I soaked the toe for long periods, entire games sometimes. There was a bit of a rank phase while the cider vinegar killed the infection, not pretty at all! Then the country entered a beautiful period of hot sunny days and I’d languish on the balcony letting my little toes bask in the sunlight. One glorious day my body simply shed the old skin like a snake and a lovely, healthy baby pink pinky toe emerged. I was so happy. It took about 7 tedious weeks for this to happen.

I used the same stuff for a few days and changed it when it felt right.

Incidentally TMS often flares as skin issues. @Tennis Tom once posted a link to a great book/pdf on this subject. Maybe he has the link to hand..? (Hi Tom). I may have it somewhere, downloaded to an older phone. I’ll have a look.

TG957 and nowa like this.
  12. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Tennis Tom and nowa like this.
  13. nowa

nowa Peer Supporter

Thank you again!!!

14. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, you can reuse cider. It is acidity of it that kills the fungus.

nowa likes this.
  15. nowa

nowa Peer Supporter

thank you!!!

16. LaurenBlalb

LaurenBlalb Newcomer

I did not even think about it, I asked the family doctor and in the future I will find out about the result, what kind of fungal infection you have. Personally, in this case it does not help much; you will find little from cheap devices to get rid of this infection. You should browse various sites and look for special ointments that will help you solve this problem. Recently (a year ago) there was also such a situation, but almost immediately I found one site with a good remedy for a fungal nail infection. Here is a site that helped me solve this problem https://www.funginix.org/.

17. jimmylaw9

jimmylaw9 Peer Supporter

Rub Vics rub every night on toes works great takes several weeks

18. eskimoeskimo

eskimoeskimo Well known member

I tried everything under the sun, including everything mentioned above, and nothing worked until I took the meds. Oral terbinafine (lamisil). I know there are a lot of scary stories out there, but I had zero side effects. And I'm a hypochondriac.

Balsa11 and Tennis Tom like this.