1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Are food sensitivities TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by freedomseeker, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Miss Metta

Miss Metta Peer Supporter

I've been around long enough now to watch food trends go in and out of fashion. Over time, you get to see that dietary advice goes in cycles of about 20 years. Always, it's "New studies show that ...." and the currrent wisdom is tossed out and the new trend comes in. When I was a kid, milk, protein and potatoes were the thing. Atkins was popular if you wanted to lose weight. When I was a teen, fat was evil and low fat became the rage. This persisted into my late 20's when low sugar/low carb started and Atkins came back again. Then we've moved further into sensitivities and intolerances which I believe Europeans who love their food don't suffer from. The French and Italians don't appear to have these 'dairy' and 'wheat' issues and eat their cheeses and pasta with relish. Only the US, UK and NZ and Australians seem to have these 'issues'. The latest growing trends are polar opposites: both vegansim and true carnivore diets (ie, no plants at all). are becoming popular. Plants are now starting to become the villain because of their oxalates and lectins and other antinutrients. I spent much of my early adulthood looking for the 'perfect' diet. But the ideas keep changing and old ideas come back into fashion again. I now see this micro-focus on good and bad foods as way we try to control anxiety about our mortality.

Lotus, TrustIt, ssxl4000 and 2 others like this.
  2. TrustIt

TrustIt Well known member

well said, miss metta. i've seen the same food phases through my lifetime as well. i do wonder if SOME issues do indeed come from the fact that 50 years ago, our foods were not processed and altered, especially like we have them in the states now. a german friend who visits here can not eat our bread, but at home has no problems. the same goes for cheeses and meats and 90% of everything in a grocery store. that said, however, we have plenty of brainwashing around the next fad and the next to keep the $ going into somebody's pocket. digestive issues have been normalized. i have never seen so many docu-series, webinars, retreats, books, dvds, courses, testing offers, and such on leaky gut, sibo, microbiome, and the plethoric acronyms that people throw around like everyone knows what they are. i bet if we listed them all, it would actually be hilarious how we have come to accept that the human body could be so vulnerable to so many things. belief can be an insidious thing, locking us into fear, and we all know where that gets us.

Lotus likes this.
  3. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey sweetheart,

The restrictive diet was anti-Candida which meant no sugars of any kind (including fruit), no yeast, no dairy...I can’t recall all the sanctions now as it was almost 30 years ago. I also saw a colonic irrigationist who on top of that indignity, regularly gave me foul herbs to take in the hopes they would kill off the Candida overgrowth. It was all very expensive and hopeless. I finally experienced relief when I took some probiotics. I had no expectation they would work as I’d tried a million things during that time. But they did, placebo or otherwise.

I was very leary of adding the forbidden foods to my diet again but I grew in confidence as time passed. During this time I was dancing a lot (pretty much everyday) and was naturally very slim and toned. Oh to be young again.

In my 30’s I started to suffer with Trigeminal Neuralgia and that put the mockers on eating properly for quite a long time. Once again I lost weight. I was tiny and eating was fraught with anxiety. It took me a long time to defeat that.

One thing that made a huge difference for me was that I started to follow The Weston Price diet as I was terrified that TN would cause dental problems. This way of eating galvanised my health and included my beloved dairy.

The weight gain itself has happened naturally over the years. A few days ago I was speaking with a cashier at the supermarket and she was bemoaning being flat-chested. I told her that I was pretty much that way until recent years and she was stunned because these days I am extremely voluptuous. I always wanted to be curvy and now that I am I do enjoy how grounded and earthy my body feels.

As I was gaining weight I did experience a surprising amount of judgement from other people. Some of it was really hurtful, spiteful even. Bullying from others which feeds our own inner bully and inner critic is a prime avenue of emotional exploration (being good enough, and other garden variety self-esteem issues). I do think it’s worth reflecting on these vulnerabilities because they can cause/contribute not only to TMS but also to weight gain and weight loss. Like it or not our culture is based on viscous scrutiny of the female body. I much prefer to embrace the goddess images of pre-history. I find them beautiful and healing.

Give these things time to resolve. Anything that creates tension is not worth your attention. Instead focus on self-love and self-acceptance. Care for your body, tend to her, listen to her. I find small gestures make such a positive difference such as after showering I gently massaging a luxuriant oil into my body and mindfully counter any negative self-talk that may arise. I don’t think we even realise we do it.

Plum x

4. TrustIt

TrustIt Well known member

thank you, plum. this is very helpful. i have been a big weston price fan for many years and what is so strange to me is that everything i read about "being healthy" are things i have been doing for all these years...organic diet, minimal processed foods, grass fed this and pasture raised that, plenty of nature and sunshine, tuning in to circadian rhythms, grounding, emf mitigation, meditation, plant based supplements, minimal external stresses, blah blah blah...i mean, seriously, ALL THE RIGHT THINGS! lol this is what makes it so frustrating. there seems to be nothing to add to what i already do, nothing external anyway, yet something is still "off". and this is what makes me think it must be tms. i eat just about as much as my husband eats, yet i am not gaining. i will say that the way we eat is not a fattening diet anyway, so that may be part of it. he is thin as well, but not "skinny" like i am. perhaps like you, i can add more precious dairy back, and i do long for my delicious homemade wheat breads.

you are so right about people's comments. they think it's funny and they all want to "give you their extra fat". gets old. i just want my clothes to fit me again. i don't want to look at sagging skin. i realize i am older and i do not expect, nor do i need to, look 25 again, but i have always looked much younger than my age but feel i have lost that bit of self esteem. you are absolutely right about the "vicious scrutiny" of the female body! i have always been thin, steadily through the years the same weight as i was in high school. i was proud of this fact, but what it doesn't allow is much leeway to LOSE any significant amount. and i have. from 105 to 88. i am just pulling out of an orthorexic period with severe anxiety over food.

i do feel better every day doing the tms work, and i just need the patience to give my body time to balance into a reasonable weight. i know you are right about giving it time and turning my attention toward caring for myself. i have done this in the many ways i mentioned above, but not given myself the "selfish" pampering you are speaking about. thank you again for sharing. i feel your very kind heart. i am encouraged.