1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Are fibromyalgia sufferers good TMS candidates?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Miriam G. Bongiovanni, Oct 25, 2019.

1. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

My experience with CRPS support group was exactly the same as @miffybunny 's, @Miriam G. Bongiovanni 's and other posters with their respective groups. I think the issue with chronic pain sufferers, those with fibromyalgia and CFS included, is that they first are viewed as hypochondriacs who complain about non-existent symptoms, and so they have to defend themselves that their pain is for real. Then, after having defended themselves for so long, they cannot accept that the pain is "in their heads". It is a natural defensive mechanism for those who spent years defending themselves from suspicions. But once they are in, they are in all the way, as @HattieNC describes it, fully identified with their diagnosis. I had fibromyalgia symptoms on my way to recovery, but I was warned by Sarno's book that it is TMS, so I knew not to panic (well, in reality I did, but got over it). @JanAtheCPA is correct, patience and faith are truly the key. I also would like to warn about setting the timetable for your recovery: the more you try to set a goal to recover by certain date, the less likely you are going to succeed.

2. sadoromi

sadoromi New Member

It's not your fault.
    You can't help those who don't want to be helped.

3. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

I believe you have summed this up perfectly, TG957.

I was thinking some more about @Miriam G. Bongiovanni's experience of trying to help people on two dedicated fibro groups and remembered that it is also the case that some (albeit not all) of these groups have a policy/rule of not allowing people to 'tout their wares' or offer their professional services - or they have their particular favourites who are the only ones allowed to do this.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    TG957 likes this.
  4. Miriam G. Bongiovanni

Miriam G. Bongiovanni Peer Supporter

@BloodMoon ,

I must specify that I wasn't marketing my services on these groups - I was still building my site at the time, and I was simply on the groups to see how people would respond to TMS principles. All I did was try and introduce them to TMS basics, sometimes referring them to the free Educational program on the TMS Wiki. But these groups simply were not the place to introduce people to TMS, so I let go of it and since then I have found it much more rewarding to help people on this forum or through my own website. After all, not everyone is ready for TMS.

I wonder how you're doing on your own journey since you discovered this?

Okcowgirl likes this.
  5. BloodMoon

@Miriam G. Bongiovanni,

I am a believer in TMS and, personally, I actually see nothing wrong in principle in anyone approaching potential TMS clients on dedicated fibromyalgia (or similar) forums as imo it is up to the individual to do their research into what is being offered, who is offering it and then to decide whether or not to partake. So, whether you were advertising your services or not - or if you might have decided to mentioned them at some point after your website was up and running, had the reception you received have been good - is of no issue as far as I am concerned. The point I was making in my comments in reply to TG967's posting is that - as well as some 'fibromyalgics' being generally adverse to any mention of their symptoms possibly being caused by the mind/brain due to their usually horrendous experiences in striving for a diagnosis and treatment - some (if not most) dedicated fibromyalgia forums have rules regarding marketing (for one reason or another) so if you (or anyone, for that matter) had or were to offer professional TMS therapy services on/via their forums, it would almost certainly result in being banned by the administrators.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    TG957 likes this.
  6. BloodMoon

Thank you for your complimentary comments, Okcowgirl.

I think you're probably being too hard on yourself regarding the sugarcoating thing. We are all different and have our own style of doing and approaching things. All that matters is that we express ourselves when we feel up to it and try to get our point across. I don't think that recovery from TMS means that we have to change our essence, if you know what I mean? Hackneyed to say, I appreciate, but the world would be a very boring place if we all did things in the same way and expressed ourselves in the same way.

Here's to your recovery - and to mine - and to everyone else's recovery on this forum! :)

BloodMoon

TG957 and Okcowgirl like this.
  7. Okcowgirl

Okcowgirl Peer Supporter

Thanks BloodMoon.
    I appreciate your comment about being too hard on myself. That is likely why I am in this predicament lol. I am trying to take note of habits that may be harming my recovery, but I see that could also be can be construed as being hard on myself, or overthinking....sheesh, so many ways to come at this.
    Baby steps I guess. I need to remind myself to go easy.
    Thanks again for your kind response.

BloodMoon likes this.
  8. BloodMoon

I believe it is indeed good to take note of habits that might be harming our recovery; what we notice about ourselves could turn out to be key. When I said that you're probably being too hard on yourself - and that I don't believe that recovery from TMS requires us to change our essence - I had in mind that 'tactfulness' and 'diplomacy' are really a form of 'sugercoating', yet they are usually considered a valuable talent/skill. So, something that you currently consider not to be so good about yourself (your tendency to sugarcoat) could - perhaps with just a bit of examination and tweaking - turn out to actually be one of your innate strengths. I find journaling about my habits helps me to see them more clearly and examine them from other perspectives. I'm hoping doing this will aid my recovery.

All good wishes,

BloodMoon

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    Okcowgirl and TG957 like this.
  9. PainNoMore

PainNoMore Peer Supporter