1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Are antidepressants worth a try?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by edithrose, Nov 26, 2017.

1. edithrose

edithrose New Member

I am struggling. There are days when I cope and days when I don't. I am commited to TMS and know my pain is psychosomatic but I need help. I have a lot of stress with three children and I can't just relax when I want or need to. I would like to give a tricyclic antidepressant a try. I tried one type of antidepressant when I was very bad for three months with no relief but would like to give it a shot. Does anyone think they could help?

To be honest I think taking 'something' to help, if only as a placebo would help me feel less burdened by this illness.

2. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

3. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Here's what I've written in the past about my experiences with anti-depressants :

If you are "clinically depressed" the right anti-depressant will calm you down enough so you can return to functioning. Functioning will make you feel emotionally better, getting back to your homeostasis (comfort zone), that worked for you prior to being overwhelmed by life. Your Sub-C chose a TMS/affective symptom as a PROTECTOR defense mechanism.

Being able to calm down your nervous system caused by adrenal overload, will allow you to do the TMS reflection, focusing on the emotional life issues, dealing with them head-on creating a new homeostasis.

I've taken Librium and Celexa for short-term relief of depression successfully. TMS related studies have shown small doses of anti-depressants helping with TMS back-pain, obviously easing the emotional pain causing the structural TMS symptom.

Being mis-prescibed, (IMHO) Lexipro, fired me up too much rather then calming me down. The Lexies agitated me enough to necessitate a mid-night visit to the ER with a panic-attack. But, some people swear by them.

I experimented with the Celexa for TMS/back pain finding it useful for the short-term, but I didn't like the detached, semi-zombie effect.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015