1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. Bonnard is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Applying Pain Reprocessing in different situations?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by fishy, Jan 21, 2022.

1. fishy

fishy New Member

I have had significant success working with intense burning “sciatica” pain caused by sitting using Somatic Tracking/Pain Reprocessing. I am almost completely recovered after 2 years not being able to sit down. I credit the book and podcast, as well as a couple of sessions with a Pain Reprocessing Therapy doctor at a local medical center blessed with a pain psychology program based on the Boulder Back Study program.

I am hoping to extend these proven techniques to my other struggles but am unsure how.

I have back pain that occurs when active (mostly during onstage performances….yep, glaring clue this pain is stress-related!) at work. I am in a second career as a falconer and love it, but in many cases I am in situations where stillness and focus are not an option in the moment so I have to grin and grit. How might I work with this pain to get corrective experiences without being able to stop and attend?

Another issue I am stuck on is severe insomnia due to constant thermal cycling from freezing to boiling and back. I am in perimenopause but am hopeful my mind can make the needed adjustment. I try to do paced breathing, messages of safety, and somatic tracking on it but I have not had any luck working with this. My attitude toward the lack of sleep is pretty good at this point so I think I am succeeding on the safety part, but the disruptive sensations and resulting insomnia has not budged. Is there a tweak to the approach I should try to tackle this high intensity “painsomnia” type of thing?

2. fridaynotes

fridaynotes Well known member

i think you’re on the right track. it gets better! keep doing the inner work, keep calming the nervous system, keep talking to your brain/inner child. you’re on the path, just keep walking.