1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone have experience with Silent Reflux? Have you found it to be TMS?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by MusicMan11, Jul 18, 2018.

1. MusicMan11

MusicMan11 Peer Supporter

I recently saw an ENT and he said I might be suffering from "silent reflux"

My symptoms are constant throat clearing, feeling of a lump in my throat and post-nasal drip, ear crackling/fullness.

When I wake up in the morning I have this stomach churning feeling that wakes me up that feels like anxiety. Once I get up I get this awful cough/choking feeling and have to clear my throat.

When the stomach churning goes away, I get head/sinus pressure, sometimes a headache, and the stress of it all sometimes causes a migraine.

I've had an:

MRI of brain - clear
    CT of neck - clear
    CT of abdomen/chest - clear
    Ears checked - clear
    CT of sinuses - waiting to hear back from

I am like 95% convinced it's all TMS, so I have been working on using a bunch of tactics I've learned on here along with just "not caring" or not being scared, but wondered if anyone experienced anything similar?

I have read Healing Back Pain & The Mindbody Prescription as well have been journaling/SEP and just ordered Claire Weekes' book Hope & Help For Your Nerves

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    TrustIt likes this.
  2. ash86

ash86 Peer Supporter

I had this!!! I even went to the ER one night afraid the lump in my throat would block my breathing.

The following day I went to a trusted ENT was told it was just reflux, and not cancer like I feared. And I stopped being afraid of it, a week later it was all gone. Haven't had a problem since. And prior to that I had the lump feeling for 3 months.

TrustIt and Kira like this.
  3. TrustIt

TrustIt Well known member

I have the stomach stuff too... also an anxiety type feeling... like i can feel my adrenal glands squeezing. Quite a strange sensation. With the nasal issue, I have to get up and clear my throat usually once during the night and do a neti pot first thing when i wake up in the morning. I know these things are tms and we can handle them. Reading the books and starting the course is what is needed and to not be concerned about how long it takes. Sharing our stories is very helpful to a point.

4. Shaboogie

Shaboogie New Member

Very helpful. Thank you

5. corri d

corri d New Member

I am currently going through a bad flare up of acid reflux. It is creating the postnasal drip and lump in my throat. I am also unable to eat much and can feel the food rising up my esophagus. I also can feel the acid in my sinus and my ears. The funny thing is that my TMS symptoms usually show up as migraines, face pain, or neck and shoulder pain, sometimes vertigo as well. Then one day these acid symptoms showed up and all my other symptoms went away. I know that neuroplastic pain often travels around the body or that once we clear up one symptom, we get a flair up of a new symptom. Even though I knew this I was hesitant to believe that it was not something physically wrong with me. I started taking so many medications that didn't work and going to my dr. Finally, I decided to get on here and look for others with acid symptoms because I knew that would help me solidify that mine can as well be mind-body. I will continue to take the course of medication my dr. prescribed, it is a two-week course, I will also be applying all the mind-body techniques that help with my other TMS symptoms. I think the biggest thing is I can now let go of the fear around the acid and the fear that it will never go away, and I will feel sick forever. I know that is just temporary and it is my bodies way of communicating with me that I need to make some changes.

JanAtheCPA likes this.