1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone has success on healing dizziness?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Allund, Mar 21, 2022.

1. Allund

Allund Peer Supporter

Hi,

I have had dizziness for many years, it usually comes and goes. I got tested and everything was fine. I also suffer from anxiety. My dizziness is closely related to anxiety. In fact since September I started very bad anxiety ( I had to start taking medication ) and I felt dizzy all day.
    I have read Dr Darnos book many years ago but didn't manage to find a way to use that information to help my dizziness.
    I wanted to ask you if anyone has had this symptom and if you found relief.

Thank you all

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey @Allund, long time no see!

Did you ever come across this thread started a number of years ago? The article that's referred to and linked is THE article anyone needs on the topic of PPDS (dizziness as TMS).
    Psycho-Physiological Dizziness Syndrome (PPDS) | TMS Forum (The Mindbody Syndrome) (tmswiki.org)

"Before Sarno" my doctor told me that "a lot of my post-menopausal female patients complain of dizziness". After a dizziness and balance clinic could find nothing wrong, mine definitely turned out to be TMS, and I still have "off" days when I'm stressed.

~Jan

Allund likes this.
  3. Everly

Everly Peer Supporter

Hey, Allund. You just said it there yourself, that your dizziness is closely related to your anxiety. That is such an important realization for yourself. So you know that dizziness for you means anxiety. Use this knowledge. Even if in the moment you can feel only dizziness, you can remind yourself, hey, something in me must feel anxious, scared. Thats ok, how can I send a message of safety to this dizziness sensation, so basically TMS work. Best wishes!

Allund and JanAtheCPA like this.
  4. Allund

Allund Peer Supporter

Thank you so much Jan, I will read that information for sure. I feel I have been dealing with this symptom for so long that I keep looking for answers and ways to heal or help. I also realize that because of how I work, I tend to look for lot of information but then I am not good at taking it into practice.

So glad to read you again Jan :)

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  5. Allund

Allund Peer Supporter

This is good advice... I feel it's like my nervous system is now hypervigilant. I have always had some kind of anxiety but could do ok with my life.. now since September I started to feel really bad anxiety and then I felt like dizzy all day (felt that I was going to faint when talking to people, or really imbalance while walking) so I know this is anxiety, but I got so afraid of it that I don't really know what to do.
    I am trying to help my brain know that there is no real danger.

6. Everly

Everly Peer Supporter

That sounds really difficult and understandably feels scary. As I'm sure you know, fear from anxiety only fuels the initial anxiety fire. It's a tricky situation, for me what helped was the acceptance, but also working on anxiety not stopping me of doing something. So, for instance, if you have made plans with friends and dizziness comes up, you sit down focus on it, acknowledge it for what is and get up and go through your plans, not cancel. Every time you do this, you receive a sort of positive learning lesson for the anxiety, that you could do it eitherway. Like a bit of exposure therapy for that, really. I am not sure if this is relevant to your situation, but I thought I'd mention it, as it helped me.

JanAtheCPA and Allund like this.
  7. Allund

Allund Peer Supporter

Yes, I am trying to focus too on keep doing my activities because I know avoidance makes the problem bigger. Sometimes I can do it, others I don't. I try to realize too that nothing really serious happened to me while being dizzy.
    I think I am so desperate that I am trying to find what helps from different therapies or ideas (CBT, mindfulness and ACT, Somatic...)

8. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

Perfectly stated! This is great advice.

Allund likes this.