1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Anyone getting flare ups from the cold

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by levfin003, Oct 6, 2015.

1. levfin003

levfin003 Peer Supporter

I've been getting flare ups in neck pain from the cold weather, and am curious if others feel the same. I had to take ibuprofen today to keep the neck pain in check.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

It's getting colder now in the Chicago area where I live. You may have sat in a draft and got a sore neck. I like wearing a knit scarf around my neck,
    even in the house if need be. I work on the computer in my home office and a vent is right above me so I feel the draft from even warm air. I even wear a ski cap besides the scarf. Otherwise I could get a stiff neck or a head cold.

Just remember, the neck pain will pass. It could be TMS or just sitting in a draft.

3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I definitely notice my symptoms flaring up, lev, but I don't think it has anything to do with temperature. I know you've come a long way, but that question indicates that there is still a part of you that is thinking physically instead of emotionally.

I believe that what we're experiencing is a mental and emotional reaction to the change in seasons and the shorter days, to leaves turning brown and trees becoming bare. Traffic is worse with everyone back in school, the stress of the holidays is coming soon, and another year is ending, which just reminds us of the passage of time and of our inevitable mortality.

In other words, always remember to Think Psychological, not physical.

levfin003 and angelic333 like this.
  4. levfin003

levfin003 Peer Supporter

Thanks for the advice both.

Walt - I have an upcoming trip to Chicago. In my college days, I spent a Christmas/New Year's in Chicago. It was like living in a freezeer! I do love the area and can't wait to revisit.

JanAtheCPA - I do think that the symptoms have something to do with learned behaviour. Before I got introduced to Sarno this year, I spent all of last winter in intense pain. I believe my mind is associating the cold with the same pain. Maybe I should engage in some pain talk.

Speaking of old age. I have never thought much about old age and mortality from my own perspective as I am in my 30's. However, my abusive father is old and is struggling alone. This makes me intensely sad (and guilty), but there is nothing I can do that would make him change his abusive behaviour. So we have to leave him on his own.

JanAtheCPA likes this.