1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

anyone else?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Markus, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Markus

Markus Guest

I'm curious as to wether anyone else has had an increase in fibromyalgia symptoms while going through the TMS material? I have often wondered if I were somehow causing the pain. But I had increase in back issues after listening to Dr. Sarno ' s YouTube video.
    M

IrishSceptic likes this.
  2. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

Mine have the past 2 days.......and i haven't been diag with fibro, just idiopathic pain/twitching at this point, but it certainly has my attention.

3. alexandra

alexandra Peer Supporter

I have increase in symptoms right now after finally committing to a journaling program. My mom's fibro got worse while attempting to journal, and she gave up. Dr Sarno says this is normal and one must push and persevere through the emotional stuff.

Markus and IrishSceptic like this.
  4. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

its the brain fighting back, sounds ridiculous and likely a stumbling point for everyone. keep reinforcing the message to yourself 'there is nothing physically wrong with me so i should not have pain, I will think psychologically'

if you indulge the pain it will oblige

nowtimecoach and Markus like this.
  5. Markus

Markus Guest

Thanks, I have yet to see a TMS Dr. I was thinking Dr. Mark Sopher. I'm glad this is normal. It was after watching Dr. Sarno's
    YouTube presentation, when I had a surge in back pain. And having Fibromyalgia, Myofascial pain syndrome stamped On me , back pain alone is not my largest complaint. Thanks again for helping me.
    Mark.

IrishSceptic likes this.
  6. IrishSceptic

yeah I did some vigourous exercise for first time last week and have been in serious pain since.
    did some meditation in the bath and felt much better. watch Nichole Sachs interview with Forrest , she describes how hard it is to internalise the message that the pain has psychological origin. its really tough when its there all the time and can get you really down

Markus likes this.
  7. Markus

Markus Guest

It's very odd how just before I found out about Dr. Sarno's work I was wondering if all this pain I had could be something I was doing. I have had the fibro diagnoses for 20 years so, it might be difficult. If i begin to feel normal.....than it might be easier, but i don't expect it to be easy irregardless. I do hope Dr. Sopher is still seeing people. ..
    Thanks again everyone!

IrishSceptic likes this.
  8. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi. I don't know if you have any issues with anxiety but as my symptoms started to lessen and move around(which took more than a few months of work) my anxiety started to go thru the roof. I had panic attacks years earlier, and this wasn't exactly panic attacks. It was more generalized, but it felt uncomfortable to be in my own skin. It was very difficult to relax. My somatic experiencing therapist would tell me that it was too tall of an order for my nervous system to try to completely relax but that I needed to find ways to work on just making it a little less, a little more manageable. This was very helpful advice. We tend to think very black and white, pain versus no pain, anxious versus relaxed and calm. And there is actually a whole spectrum in between. I still use that advice when I notice that I am getting really stressed out or anxious about something. How can I take the edge off and make it just a little bit less? I know how difficult it is not to monitor your symptoms, but it is crucial. I had a new pain symptom pop up three or four weeks ago. It was a few days before I realized my mind was going thru the same old patterns of worry, monitoring, trying to figure out the cause and potential course of action. I told my self that I would put it out of my mind best I could for a month or so and if was still bothering me I would go see a doctor. It took me about a week or so to actually stop thinking about it. I would notice that I was and then redirect myself to think about my life, work, journal etc.
    Then this morning when I woke up I realized that the pain was gone. I truly don't know when it left. I know its challenging when the pain increases or moves around or another symptom appears. Be persistent, try to find strategies not to monitor, stick with it, and eventually you will reclaim your life without thinking about and experiencing pain all the time. I was in pain for over 20 years and it really is worth sticking with the TMS recovery work.

Ellen and Markus like this.
  9. IrishSceptic

highly recommend Steve Ozanichs book 'Great Pain Deception' and the audiobook of Healing back pain.
    you really need to dedicate 20mins or so per day religiously to reiterating the ideas and convince yourself 100%. its tough when the prevailing wisdom goes against Sarno

10. Markus

Markus Guest

I have St eve's book. I have the last 2 books by Dr. Sarno, and Mark Sopher's, book.
    Anne, yes, I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder. I'm wanting to see a TMS Dr so I can get some direction.

11. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

It's common to have symptoms increase when your brain realizes you're onto it's scheme. My hands swelled while first reading MOBP.

Often, when I'm talking to people their symptoms increase, or they may contrarily disappear. The brain hides shame in different ways in different people. Your brain will become frantic when it knows that you've uncovered its ruse. In my opinion, it's a good sign and that you will heal. Any movement of pain means that the knowledge alone may be sufficient to release the diversion. No movement is an odd beast. In many instances the knowledge isn't getting through because it isn't being accepted by the deeper self. The persona of self is strong, and the needs for the false mask greater.

The whole process relies on perception. If you perceive your body to be broken then it is. If you perceive you won't heal, then you won't. If you perceive you're getting worse when symptoms spread, then you are. In my opinion, you're getting better when the symptoms spread because your brain can't hold your attention any more with the old symptoms. It has to spread to maintain fear.

Steve

Anne Walker and Markus like this.
  12. Markus

Markus Guest

Thank you Steve. I'm reading the book you authored, I read parts of it very quickly the first time. Now it's taking me longer, as I'm trying to understand TMS and get it in my mind/heart. I am relieved to hear that a worsening of feelings is a good sign. I watched Dr. Sarno's class on YouTube and, shortly thereafter my back pain was worse than ever, this puzzled me. Thanks for responding.
    Mark.

13. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

Steve, what do you think of symptoms that sometimes move and sometimes persist in the same location? It is hard to guess what I am going to feel from one day to the next.

14. IrishSceptic

I'm giving Niacin a try this week will report back, it gives you a flush that opens up small capillaries to get nutrients to tissues. meant to be especially excellent for anxiety/depression.
    if you can ease those a little it will be easier to get stuck into the messy emotional stuff thereafter.
    if you do not have enough vitamin b3 in the diet, tryptophan (the precursor to good mood chemical serotonin) is processed by the liver to form b3. when you take in adequate b3 the tryptophan in order foods taken in used for its intended purpose.

Markus likes this.
  15. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

In my journey of TMS healing, I definitely had an increase in symptoms. It was like my body was challenging me to hold on to the Think Psychological every time I was flared up. It was imperative for me to keep talking back to the TMS process - telling my subconscious that I was not going to allow this process to continue. I used to have pain getting in and out of cars, going up and down stairs. I did what was suggested in a lot of the books - I repeated the motion until I could do it without pain. It would take awhile - but after 20 repetitions of getting into and out of the car - the pain stopped. I physically had to show my brain and body that I was in charge.
    Don't stop believing EVER that you will heal. It will happen. I promise you - if you keep up the good work!

Ellen, Markus and Anne Walker like this.
  16. Markus

Markus Guest

Thanks so much, it's awesome to hear such encouraging stories. Thanks for the encouragement!
    Mark

17. Markus

Markus Guest

I have this book!

IrishSceptic likes this.
  18. Markus

Markus Guest

I am enjoying the book. I will say that Steve getting so Ill in the beginning
    actually made me get very angry lol! I could not believe anyone could be so unlucky! ", after, I calmed down though
    M

IrishSceptic likes this.
  19. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Steve went through everything before he discovered TMS and then found that the healing techniques
    saved him. It is truly a great book and he's a great guy.

Journaling can be stressful, but worth it. I learned more about myself and childhood anxieties and anger
    than I ever imagined. It led to me forgiving my parents and older brother and that freed me of severe back pain.

IrishSceptic and Markus like this.
  20. Markus

Markus Guest

I have journal ed for Almost 11 years now but, I've never journaled about emotions and meant to pick up a separate journal today but forgot, I did it mentally yesterday and held nothing back! I thought,"if I have this much anger that I'm concious of image how much I'm not concious of?. I think Steve is great, and I love his book, but me laughing or feeling angry at his descriptions of one illness after another, is a sign of great writing!

M