1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

ANYONE ELSE SLEEPY

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Richsimm22, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Richsimm22

Richsimm22 Well known member

Anybody else find that all they want to do is sleep lots after starting tms therapy?

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I usually feel so relaxed and after doing some TMS meditation, if I sit and watch tv, sometimes with the sound off, I get sleepy and nap.

3. tigerlilly

tigerlilly Well known member

Yes!!! I find that I not only want to sleep, but also engage in ANYTHING ELSE besides TMS therapy!!! Which - when it comes down to it, is just part of the TMS plan to keep us distracted and focused AWAY from our emotions!
    But - once I force myself to do therapy I find it very therapeutic and helpful!

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

We're on the same page, Tigerlilly. TMS journaling or meditation relaxes me but at the same time,
    it's very helpful in discovering the reasons why I am in pain or up-tight.

The back seems to scratch itself.

5. Waterbear

Waterbear Peer Supporter

Yes! However, I think it has more to do with the pain part if it. When I was in a lot of pain(physical and mental) I went to bed at 9 or 10 (normal time for me was midnight or 1 am). As my pain decreased, I was able to do more. The more I did, the happier and less tired I felt. Now I go to bed around 11-midnight and I think that's just fine.

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Some people can't get to sleep but maybe they go to bed too early, or take an afternoon nap
    which can interfere with sleep. It may be best for some to stay up later so they're really tired
    and ready to sleep.

7. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

What kind of TMS therapy?

8. Richsimm22

Well any therapy related to tms healing. Journalling, meditation etc. Im doing more deep breathing and meditation lately so it might might be that knocking me out lol

9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Journaling, meditation, and deep breathing are three of my favorite things. They work well together,
    but I prefer journaling in the morning for about 15 minutes, then throughout the day I practice
    meditation and as often as I can think of doing it, deep breathing.

Richsimm22 likes this.
  10. Ollin

Ollin Peer Supporter

Interesting question, I've been also wondering about it. Sleepiness might be two things.

1) Release of tension following intense work (with your feelings); the mind arrives at a more peaceful place - this means the effort you put in was a success and helped you resolve something that the mindbody is now ready to let go of.

2) A way of avoiding dealing with uncomfortable feelings (or overwhelm) - i.e. the very TMS strategy. The mind fears going further into something you encountered during the therapy.

Perhaps a way to tell which of these is happening is an honest look at how you feel cognitively. Was something resolved or are you just exhausted?
    But even #2 means you are making progress: you stripped some layers of an issue and now faced with something that may be better tackled at another time. Small steps are always more effective than re-traumatizing yourself.

Personally I prefer working on my emotional issues in the evening. My pain almost always intensifies as the day goes on, also a lot of emotions come to the surface. I don't know which is the cause and effect, but if I stress myself in the morning I get pain, so I tend to avoid it - I need to function. I can always count on the evening slump!

Ellen likes this.
  11. UkAdR

UkAdR Peer Supporter

I have actually found I have had more energy since starting TMS healing. When my pain was at its worst around 3 - 5 months ago I too was going to bed earlier and finding myself more lethargic through the days. I have found that knowing that my pain is harmless and I can't really do myself any damage has lifted a kind of 'fog' and made me more aware and raring to go. I am still having days where my pain is worse than others and finding that on those days I am more tired.

I think its down also to me taking my time with TMS healing, as I've said before. I now find I journal every 5 days or so, maybe even more, as I am trying to keep my life more normal again.

12. Tennis Tom

What would you be doing if your TMS symptom was not here/there anymore?

13. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

A good question from Tennis Tom. What would be doing if our TMS symptom was gone?
    I'd find a German tavern that had a band and some pretty waitresses in dirndls and danced
    polkas and waltzes with them, like I used to do before the German and Polish neighborhoods turned Hispanic.
    I like Hispanic music, too, but miss the German and Polish and the waitresses carrying platters of
    bratwursts and steins of beer. Ah, those were the good old days.

14. Richsimm22

Id throw a massive party and celebrate the anniversary every year.

15. Tennis Tom

That's good and what would you do the other 364 days a year if you didn't have your TMS symptom?

16. Richsimm22

I guess id just enjoy not having the symptoms anymore and enjoy the new found freedom that comes with it.

17. sewmuch

sewmuch Member

How about starting today? Throw yourself a massive party and celebrate.....and enjoy.....