1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else panic when their child gets sick?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by DanielleMRD, Apr 21, 2014.

1. DanielleMRD

DanielleMRD Peer Supporter

Hi guys,

I was doing pretty well, but then my 4 year old started running a fever last night and the anxiety came rushing back. I'm working so hard to stop living from a place of fear, feeling like the world is a terrifying place and something awful could happen at any moment...I'm so tired of continuing to come back to this place. I'm disappointed in myself. Has anyone else dealt with this? My husband keeps telling me to let go, it's not in my control... I know he's right, but how do I let go?

Thanks for reading my post ❤️

2. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

Oh, my gosh, yes!!!!! My kids are 13 and 15 years old now but when they were younger nothing could trigger my intense anxiety and panic attacks faster then one of my kids getting sick. When my son was 2 months old he got a bad case of the croup and I'll always remember sitting with him in a steamy bathroom all night. It was one of the longest nights of my life! If it is any consolation, I think it does get a little easier as they get older and they get sick less often. I don't think many husbands or fathers understand or sympathize in the way other mothers do. I don't look to my husband for understanding when the kids are sick. He thinks I worry too much and perhaps I do, but I think it is natural for a mother to be concerned when her children are sick. I also don't hesitate to take them to the doctor, even if its just for my own reassurance. And sometimes I have been really surprised, like a few years ago when my son was throwing up and it turned out to be strep throat! He was vomiting in the car on the way to the doctor and barely had a sore throat so I was super surprised when the culture came back positive for strep throat. So perhaps I take them to the doctor too much but who cares? Anything to help get through it. There is nothing I hate more than when my kids are sick! Try not to be disappointed in yourself over this. Its what makes you a really great mom. And it does get easier. Although pretty soon they are going to start driving and I have no idea how I am going to survive that.

3. DanielleMRD

DanielleMRD Peer Supporter

Thanks, Anne! Your reply really helps. I have two other daughters ages 15 & 18, so I've been down this road many times, but somehow I still go straight into panic mode. It's like I'm literally holding my breath until she is better...that's the thing about fear for me, it has a tendency to get me really stuck. Of course, other than a lingering sore throat/cold, all my usual symptoms are gone while I'm distracted by worrying for my sweetie pie... Seems so silly, but continues on...