1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else experiencing a post-election effect?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by James59, Jan 28, 2017.

1. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Thank you Ellen. Your kindness is much appreciated.

2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

And where might this be found? At most sites it's readily seen.

sam908 likes this.
  3. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Click on the person's avatar. Look at the part that says 'My Story'. Next to that is the 'start conversation', 'follow' and 'ignore'. Those three are in blue. Click ignore, *poof* annoying person disappears off the face of your earth.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  4. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

THANK YOU! I'm going to suggest to the mods to make the "IGNORE" key more visibly accessible. Maybe putting it below next to where the "edit" keys etc., are located.--I may click on it to ignore myself--or my sub-c.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    plum likes this.
  5. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

What a cool life hack that would be :)

Tennis Tom likes this.
  6. James59

James59 Well known member

OK, this thread has strayed significantly from my original intent. While it didn't devolve into politics as I had feared it somehow became a debate over what sort of discussion is appropriate, which I didn't anticipate or seek on a support forum.

I more or less found out what I wanted to know in the first page - that current events are not just affecting me but others as well. If y'all had stuck to the topic (as some of you thankfully did), this would continue to be an interesting subject. But since too much text has been spent going off on a tangent it's time to "shutter down."

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  7. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Life is a wonderful experience of going off tangent. TMS is a curious yet darkly wonderful experience of how we try to control these sidelines. Indeed the raison d'ĂȘtre of healing is to recognise, honour and restore these shadowy aspects to our existence. Even within the pointless ramblings of a well-intentioned thread we can learn something of our micro-managing need to hold the reins at all costs. @Tennis Tom often says this is just a screen and a place to bat out our bullshit (my phrasing) and not to take it all so damn seriously and I agree with him. Having known him for a long time I have come to see that he embodies a form of the worthy opponent. Herein lies a lesson and a profound healing.

We can clash swords, and sometimes we must. Or/and we can contemplate on why this comment/person/belief is vexing. A study was published recently that confirmed long-held suspicions concerning the psychological dark side of the web. The internet has a knack of leveraging narcissism and neuroticism. It's a diamond-in-the-rough opportunity to have these traits triggered so that we may throw them in the emotional tumbler.

When my partner was given 3-5 years to live we broke our hearts sobbing in the hospital grounds and then we decided to live those years as fully as we could. It was a ferocious, passionate, agonising, beautiful and ultimately victorious time (we defied the prognosis), which put us both through the mill. I thank God for it because Life is a wonderful experience of going off tangent.

mike2014, Ellen and tgirl like this.
  8. sam908

sam908 Peer Supporter

Here's how Krishnamurti put it, in commenting on the secret to a happy, contented life:

"Do you want to know what my secret is? I don't mind what happens."

mike2014, Ellen, plum and 1 other person like this.
  9. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Plum, dear friend, I am so sorry that it has been so rough for you! But somehow you always manage to find words of compassion and love for others. I am sending love and warmest wishes for you and your loved ones. You are right: if we have nothing left in us, there is nothing to give. Take good care of yourself, wait for the trying times to pass and find kindness and love where you expect it the least.

Here is a little story for you: I went to get a hair cut the other day, and all of a sudden a young guy shows up, turns on a boombox with accompaniment and starts singing a beautiful aria to one of the hair stylists. He had an amazing, well-polished baritone and everybody turned their heads to him and listened. My stylist pulled out her phone and recorded the whole thing. When he ended, he received a standing ovation from the audience, total of 6 people present. The girl who was a recipient of such a gift was smiling and tearful throughout the entire performance. Turns out, the guy had been a client of hers for a few years and was moving out of town, so he stopped by to say good bye. I have been smiling since.

[​IMG]

plum likes this.
  10. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Blessings to both of you for years to come..... Faith works miracles and defies odds.

plum likes this.
  11. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi All,
    I just read this thread, and wanted to highlight this from Ellen, which echos where I come from in working with TMS and life events. I have not often heard this kind of "transference" issue discussed on this Forum, so I enjoy pointing out this wisdom. Thanks Ellen.

I believe that leaders can bring up past parental issues in us, and that is certainly what is playing out for me. I had an unstable father with a mental illness (bi-polar disorder), and so viewing a leader in which I perceive (not saying this is fact) similar characteristics, has triggered some old emotional pain and stress. But the awareness that this is what is going on is allowing me to stay on top of it, rather than letting it carry me away into a long, major relapse. So I suggest thinking psychologically, and look at the underlying why of how current events are impacting your TMS.

So the natural question, I think, to ask is "What might my Inner Child be feeling with regards to ______________ (external events) which I may not want to consciously feel?"

Andy B

MindBodyPT and Ellen like this.