1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Any tips for handwriting?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by jwiles, Jul 23, 2015.

1. jwiles

jwiles Peer Supporter

I use to write alot before i got TMS but now i can't write more than a paragraph without some type of cramping. I think maybe my focus on the pain itself might have something to do with it but then again maybe i'm just not use to handwriting anymore. I've been thinking it might be too much grip i try to correct that but it dont help much plus my writing in general is just all over and sloppy. I've always had bad handwriting(i'm left handed if that makes a diff) but it actually seems worse plus my hands sweat alot now. gonna try some fountain pens see if that helps.

2. Mala

Mala Well known member

How about using a computer?

Mala

3. jwiles

jwiles Peer Supporter

The preferred option but not always an option. I'm a college student and I'm preparing for an English Literature course for next semester. I know I'll be writing more than a few essays.

4. P's twin

P's twin New Member

I found this post very interesting because I also have problems with handwriting. I thought it was because I use a keyboard so much that I had just gotten worse at writing because of not getting any practice doing it, but now I guess I can add this to my list of TMS-caused conditions.

Practically speaking, you might try some practice exercises kids used to do in the 50's to learn penmanship. You just use your pen or pencil to make continuous Os in a row wit out taking the pen/pencil off the paper; then just make lines up and down the same way. Circles and straight lines are the building blocks of letters. If you get comfortable with this you may be able to relax and have less anxiety as you write because you'll have muscle memory helping you form the letters.

FYI - I am not trained in any way medical, but maybe this idea will help you. Alternately, you can start printing in capital letters but it is much slower than writing and probably not a good idea for test-taking or essay-writing. Good luck with the English course from an English major!

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

jwiles, it's kinda funny but I've read that kids today are not being taught penmanship or writing. They're encouraging kids to use the computer.
    I think it's a mistake, because I think we retain more if we write rather type on a computer.

Maybe try not holding the pen or pencil so tightly. And it's okay to write a paragraph, then take a break... breathe deeply, stand up and move your hands and wrists and arms and legs while you breathe deeply. Don't let yourself think that writing is causing you pain. It isn't. It's some repressed emotions or a perfectionist or "goodist" personality. Thinking the pain is caused by writing just makes it a conditioned reflex.

PT's twin's advice is excellent. I was a journalism major and have worked on newspapers and have been a full-time freelance writer for the past 40 years with that many books published. see a list of my most recent self-published books at CreateSpace eStore.

jwiles likes this.
  6. Mala

Mala Well known member

I grew up writing by hand with no problems as that was the norm but nowadays I find that I use my computer or tablet for nearly everything except maybe to write a thank you note or a card.

The other day I had to write an official letter urgently and didn't have my computer so i just wrote it by hand. I have to admit that my hand was a bit stiff afterwards but I just put that down to me using a different set of muscles that I wasn't used to any more.

I remember when I was teaching how difficult it was for my students to write their Enlish Literature exams. They were used to doing everything on their computers even their homework which was submitted online. Then when they had to write their 3 hour exams, their hands would cramp up badly & they would be in so much pain afterwards. I really felt sorry for them .

The funny thing is that If u look at how we hold our pens, angle our hands & heads & use our wrists to write you'd think that there should have been more ppl complaining of pain back then than now. I mean u hear a lot about bad posture leading to pain syndromes nowadays but I remember how everybody used to bend forwards when writing & I used to spend hours with my head in my books, even lying down & reading before going to bed with no negative consequences whatsoever.

Mala