1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Any room for religion, spirituality?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by DianeRadvanski, Sep 21, 2016.

1. DianeRadvanski

DianeRadvanski New Member

I was just wondering if anyone has incorporated prayer and sought spiritual guidance or is this not supposed to be part of the TMS therapy?

I ask because a lot of people r praying for me and have been but I haven't seen anyone post something related and i too have found myself gravitating back to Catholicism.

If i missed anybodys post I apologize. Just came across a good book by Howard Kusheer "When bad things happen to good people." There is a lot of research done about religion and spirituality when dealing with chronic pain.

I know this can be a touchy subject for many but if anyone is willing to share I appreciate it. Thank u!

Diane

hecate105 and Mad like this.
  2. Mala

Mala Well known member

3. DianeRadvanski

4. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

I feel like the energy of prayer is great. And, as you probably know, there have been actual double-blind studies on recovery rate of hospitalized people who were prayed for and those who were not.

I would offer this, though: Ask those praying for you to see you as whole and healthy, not as sick and hurting.
    I only say this because if people are asking you how you're feeling often, then you will always be thinking physically instead of emotionally / psychologically.

hecate105 and Mala like this.
  5. Mala

Mala Well known member

Diane both @ Walt & Eric are long standing members of our tms community & have contributed so much here. I'm sure they will be only too happy to answer any queries u may have.

Spirituality means different things for different ppl. Some seek it thru organised religion whereas I see it as personal growth & a connectivity with the world at large. I find Yoga, meditation, breathing & working with animals to be spiritual & yes I think both religion & spirituality can for many be useful in TMS therapy .
    :)

hecate105 and DianeRadvanski like this.
  6. DianeRadvanski

Thank you so much! I am trying meditation now. Will have to loOK into yoga poses in which I don't have to bend my head...maybe in due time. Best wishes to you!

7. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Dr. Sarno mentions in one of his books, that religious people tended to be quicker to accept TMS theory, citing Hasidic Jews he'd treated. I recall the mention of the word "belief" and wishing all a "Merry Christmas" setting off acrimony at the other TMS forum in years gone by. This forum seems more open to accepting religious diversity. Since TMS "healing" requires belief in doctor Sarno's controversial theory, I believe folks practiced in belief, by way of their religious practice, may have a quicker path to healing then those who are more practiced in skepticism.

hecate105 likes this.
  8. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

My religion helped - particularly as it promoted self-reliance, self- belief and free will. I had given far too much 'energy'/'belief'/'power' away to Doctors - who , however well-meaning, did not understand or help - and in fact hindered...
    So, as long as your religion supports you in using your free will it could well be a powerful 'tool' in your healing box!
    Catholicism traditionally has healing by intercession and supports peoples prayers for healing etc by lighting candles as intent...
    Personally i find paganism a huge help, but we each make up our own minds when it comes to religion, politics or marmite!

linnyc87, Mala and Tennis Tom like this.
  9. Mala

Mala Well known member

Marmite yum! :hungry::hungry:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    hecate105 likes this.