1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

anxiety

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Kylin Foster, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Kylin Foster

Kylin Foster Peer Supporter

Hi guys. So this summer I have gone to the doctor so many times for basically the same worry-herpes. I have had so many canker sores this summer its crazy and every time I get one I go to the doctor and get it tested for herpes. I have gotten super freaked out and been through phases where I obsessively wash my hands even when I don't have a sore. oh and all my tests have come back negative. I have a couple of canker sores right now and have already been to the doctor this week, I while i was there also had a little bump on the inside of my lip he said was nothing but the bump has gotten bigger. I have an appointment today to get the bump looked at again. Should I cancel it. I know im TMS'ing but I just want to clear my mind and hear the doctor say its nothing so when i get back my test results for the canker sores and I know the bump is nothing i can add that to my list of evidence. But am i just feeding into this anxiety? what do I do???

Bodhigirl likes this.
  2. nick

nick New Member

hi,
    cancel it, you just feed the fear ;)
    wish you the best!
    nick

3. Kylin Foster

Are you sure what if going makes me feel better though?

4. nick

nick New Member

your last visit was this week, or is it false? I think, like a lot of us you are in a state of fear, anxiety, obsession ... you know thats one reason of tms ... i know it is hard not to go and instead to relax and doing something good for you, but maybe it is necessary ... try to come down! what can happen? maybe it is better to check what are your current stress? thats my opinion ... i have stopped going to the doctors, it is more stress than benefits.

5. Kylin Foster

Yes I had a visit this week but the doctor was kinda rude and didnt take my questions seriously. Idk the bump on my
    Inner lip is probably just a cyst but I feel if a get a dif doctor to let me know it's not contagious when my swabs also come back negative I will feel safe to be sexually active again.

6. Kylin Foster

But I'm pretty sure the doctor looked at it and said it wasn't herpes and called it something out I'm pretty sure he said cyst idk though.

7. pspa

pspa Well known member

The biggest mistake people with health anxiety make, and this is said with compassion and from lots of experience, is feeding the need for reassurance. It only reinforces the need for more.

8. RichieRich

RichieRich Well known member

@Kylin Foster

Let me just clear the air for you here: HAVING HERPES MEANS YOU'RE FINE.

I'm not a medical doctor but have worked in the medical field previously. 60%+ of the population carries some form of Herpes. It's not a death sentence. It's not some kind of affliction that's going to ruin your life. It'll subside with time. The fact that you're worried leads me to believe you're young. I had the same scare.

I'm a carrier, but I've only presented once in my life, mildly, and I have no idea why mine is rarely occurring. Anyone that gets a cold sore on their lip more than likely has it. You can contract it from parents, siblings, friends, if you share food items when it's present. There is literally no reason to fear it. It's been given a lot of bad press over the years but it's nothing more than a skin irritation. Some get it worse than others but it will subside with time.

As you get older you'll come to accept this realization and work past it. I was reluctant once to accept the obvious, and I had to explain it to someone I love who literally didn't understand what it was, and she freaked the heck out but she got over it.

This isn't a mind/body thing, it's a virus just like a cold. It comes and goes as it pleases. I'm not suggesting shrug your shoulders initially, because it is frightening at first, but it's just something that affects people in the same way you randomly decide to binge eat one night - it just happens.

I can assure you you'll be okay.

Disclaimer - not a medical doctor, just a random person who's understanding of the situation.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    Lunarlass66 and Tennis Tom like this.
  9. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

I did some research on herpes on the internet a couple of years ago. What I recall was that 80% of people have the herpes virus. It seems to manifset itself as either a cold sore on the lips or a pimple around the genital area.

After learning that 80% of people have it, I began wondering what was wrong with the 20% of the population that don't have it. Maybe they aren't social enough? Maybe they're still virgins and have never been kissed.

It can perhaps be triggerd by stess and be a TMS manifestation (like almost anything else that we focus on as an affliction). The problem seems to be the correlation to the sexual taboo, that is still residual in our culture from it's Puritan roots.

Lunarlass66 likes this.
  10. RichieRich

@Tennis Tom

My statistic was more on a global level when you look at HSV1 & 2, but you are correct that 80% of people in the U.S. carry HSV1, the oral kind.

Bottom line is it's not a matter of [if] you get it, but [when]. Unfortunately it's a lottery we're all likely to win.

Cheers

Tennis Tom likes this.
  11. Kylin Foster

I don't care as much about getting it on my lip as I do having lots of sores in my mouth which are normally not the contagious kind! They can be normally not. But I get those canker sores because of stress and not having sex is feeding into the fear and than I get more canker sores but I'm afraid of risking giving me or my partner the genital kind.

12. RichieRich

@Kylin Foster

If you want to sort the mouth sores out, use Listerine twice a day. I know the sores of which you're talking about. It's just kind of something that happens but I don't think you should carry around an unfounded fear you're going to infect the next person. Canker sores are pretty much a fact of life, just like a bowl movement.....resistance is futile.

The mouth wash should zap it away in a few days, then you're free to fear life for all the other reasons worth fearing, like banana spiders.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  13. Bodhigirl

Bodhigirl Well known member

Here's a magic bullet for cold sores. It's homeopathic, which to me means it works with the mindbody. You can get it at most health food stores or online at Amazon or other large natural foods retailers. It's called hepar sulf and the dose is 30x. Feel a cold sore coming on and tap a few pellets into the cap of the bottle, place under your tongue and heal.
    I used to have terrible cold sores. Since TMS recovery, hardly ever. And if I do, bowing to the presence of the Vital Force that lives in homeopathy has worked wonders.
    Sometimes the action of taking 'medicine' is a gesture of loving awareness... and faith that you don't need caustic meds to suppress a virus someone else said most of the population is carrying in one form or another.

Palms together,
    bg

Tennis Tom likes this.