1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Anxiety that your achievements are only temporary

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by SebastianM, Mar 20, 2017.

1. SebastianM

SebastianM Peer Supporter

Hi everyone,

I think that I am on a good way but since yesterday I recognize little fear that my achievements during recovery and my good progress are only temporary. I don't know why there is this fear but it doesn't feel good.

Did anyone of you also have/had such feelings? What are your experiences?

Greetings
    Sebastian

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, I think this is a common concern. I remember being concerned that my pain relief was too good to be true and lasting. Just hang in there and keep doing what works. Know that progress is not always linear, and that there may be relapses. It is all part of the process.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Sebastian. The old saying, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth" refers to a horse may likely have bad breath, so stay away from its mouth... you may worry that the gift of any kind may not be as good as you hoped. Just take the gift and don't worry that it may just be temporary. If you heal from TMS today, don't worry that the pain that went away will come back tomorrow. Worrying about a gift is just horsing around. Pardon the pun.

4. SebastianM

Thanks for your kind words :).

Did you also have moments where it needed much energy and time of selftalk to calm down? I recognize that I am mostly able to calm myself down and to focus the psychological aspects. But if my daily stress is to high, I reach my limits. That's producing fear and anxiety. I realize that I need more time to think and reflect. There is so much from the past what I need to deal with but the present is there, too:wacky:.

Walt you seem to be a wise man. I try, thank you. I enjoy reading many of your messages :).

5. SebastianM

I am quite sure that I know what's going on in me these days....

I have several stressors at the moment. Since Monday they got more intensive (relationship with girlfrind, finishing study thesis, getting job). When I am stressed I tend to have old self-destructive behaviour and habits. Because I am more self-reflective I recognize this and this increases the tension and stress. There are too much thoughts that I would like to process.

This seems to be the root of my anxiety. During this, my pain focus increases but it's difficult to stay strong. Maybe the symptome imperative tries to distract this emotional conflict...

Meditation, outcome independence and self-talk have always been good methods to overcome the fear but the devil on my left shoulder is on the same level like the angel on the right at the moment. I do not want him to increase....

I know that there is nothing wrong with my stomach, my shoulder, my neck, my achilles tendon and so on. But because of the stressors I am more tensioned these days and the pain charges me more.