1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Anxiety snowballed

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Steve B, May 10, 2015.

1. Steve B

Steve B New Member

Hi, I have been trying tms therapy for less than 2 weeks. I have back pain that feels like a toothache and I had the same ache 4 years ago and it took a long time to seace. My anxiety level and the death of my dad are overwhelming and I feel they are preventing my progress. I wake up in the morning and I have to force myself to get out of bed. My job is very stressful. Has anyone experienced similar symptoms, I could really use some help right now. Thanks.

2. Steve B

Steve B New Member

3. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Pretty much everyone here. Be patient, it may take a while to fix things, it may have taken your subconscious all your life to create the issues. Keep learning and reading about TMS.

4. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Been there too. Just take it one day at a time. Carve out about an hour a day to work on TMS. And try to stay calm and be good to yourself. It will get better.

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Steve, a stressful job is one of the worst thing and definitely a major cause of TMS.
    I work for a book publisher who is a perfectionist's perfectionist, yet I have found over
    years of working for him that he is far from perfect. But he will not admit a mistake.
    I've learned to live with it and work at my own pace and know that even if I were have
    as conscientious as I am, I would still do better work for him than most if not any others could.

Try to live with the work stresses or change jobs. But not until you know you have another one to go to.

When I worked under stress for a major corporation I closed the door to my little office
    or went into the men's room and took a new pencil with me. I would break the pencil in half
    and it gave me a lot of relief. Or I went into the bathroom and, when alone, laughed.

IrishSceptic likes this.
  6. Tennis Tom

Hi Steve B,

I got a PM from you that may have been in error, I'll answer it here for the benefit of others who may be in your shoes, which is most if not all of TMS'ers.

Check the R-H list of stressful life events that are causing your TMS.
    THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS SCALE:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Find a TMS physician if at all possible, they will be sympathetic to your issues.

You may need some mild, short term tranquilizers or anti-depressants to ease your anxiety to get you through this rough patch so that you can focus on the TMS information until your subconscious readjusts it's views on the MINDBODY.

Since you've recovered from TMS symptoms before, you will recover faster each time one arises once you recognize that's what it is.

Immerse yourself in TMS PENICILLIN KNOWLEDGE, there's a wealth of it here, books, blogs, videos, etc. Steven Ray Ozanich's book THE GREAT PAIN DECEPTION is a great text book of TMS psychosomatic psychology.

If there's no TMS physician or practitioner near you, you can phone or skype one, there's a directory of them in the sidebar of the home page.

Curl up with a bottle of wine and read.

Ellen likes this.
  7. Steve B

Steve B New Member

8. Steve B

Steve B New Member

Thx so much if you have any tricks of the trade please let me know don't want to start thinking structurally again

9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Anxiety snowballing. I know the feeling well.

My advice may sound like Mary Poppins, but I laugh anxiety off.
    Even a minute or less of laughing, even laughing at nothing, makes me feel better.

JenV likes this.
  10. Steve B

Steve B New Member

11. Tennis Tom

Everything I mentioned above.

12. Tennis Tom

Steve B,

In your pm to me you mentioned that you can still swim, bike, etc., be thankful you are still physically active, there are many who have more extreme forms of TMS that don't think they can do physical activity, fearing doing "damage". Many years ago I met a lady in a hot-tub who said she had fibromyalgia, an extreme form of TMS. I suggested she read Dr. Sarno, she said she couldn't hold a book up to turn the pages. I suggested she have her husband, a friend, or to hire a high-school kid to turn the pages for her--if it was now I would tell her to listen to an audio or watch a video version.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  13. Steve B

Steve B New Member

I will
    thx so much

14. Steve B

Steve B New Member

I will

15. Steve B

Steve B New Member

16. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Steve,
    I am sorry you are going through an acute hell right now. Great advice above. You are getting the TMS counseling, and you are here, so have your pain program going. Look for support and ease anywhere you can find it. Laugh, movies, wine, friends on the phone, swimming, helping a neighbor or friend, listening to someone's life...This acute time will pass, as it always does. Hang in there and keep writing posts here if that helps.
    Andy B.