1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

ANXIETY/PAIN

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Boston Redsox, May 9, 2016.

1. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

My anxiety/pain comes in waves ....I have journaled to death to a point where journaling just causes more pain plus for me I don`t want to keep repeating the same old issues over and over I find it to be counter productive..I have still not found what works for me in the TMS process...what as not worked for me is affirmations, my UC laughs at me when I say them its almost like denial so I stopped that..mediation again for me was somewhat helpful but it felt like I was stalling from doing the real work ( I still don`t know what that is). Breathing was very useful for short burst to calm my anxiety/pain but juts a bandaid ....Self talk I like it seems to bring things to light very helpful...

I saw a TMS therapist she made some great points but nothing I already did not know but she brought it to a better light...I see a general therapist about once a month just to unload some emotional garbage its cleansing. I am living life the best I can hoping to get the ahah moment that will bring this journey to the next level, I am stuck in a rut of the healing process.

I feel that I am jumping from one thing to another looking for answers that are not there, sometimes we research until we are blue in the face but never take the time to stop and actually heal. I am in a constant self inflicted war over taking a antidepressant but I found it to be the only thing that is keeping me somewhat grounded to do this work. I need to just be at piece with taking it, all the other modalities I mentioned don`t really help control it.

This journey is not easy for any of us, we must all find our road to self healing. For those who have healed I tip my hat to you for finding what works. In the mean time I will stop digging for answers and just live the best I can.

God Bless

Marco

tgirl and Bodhigirl like this.
  2. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Marco, my good friend, let it all go sometimes pouring it out can help you shed new light and find a sense of direction.

With regards to journaling I am in complete agreement, it's useful up until a point, but not worth continuing if we are not benefiting. That said, if there are stressors in the now, it's useful to carry out some free writing task.

Once you've completed the above, try and identify any limiting beliefs or negative beliefs that are holding you back. What is stopping you from reaching true happiness?

If the journalling doesn't work try insite meditation. Again looking at patterns of thoughts, what are the limiting beliefs you have?

Once you have recognised your patterns of thought you can look at ways in which affirmations can be applied and utilised in a healthy way.

There is alot of science behind affirmations, visualisations and that our thoughts and experiences shape our being. Even the power of intent alone, can have a profound effect on ones physiology. New neural networks are created even if you have the intent to meditate or use affirmations. Using affirmations without having any belief won't bring about any change, they will just be empty words with no purpose. So if you chose to go this route belief is key. Well, in fact belief is key in whatever you decide to do.

I hate to sound direct here but i admire you and respect you very much and want to help you move forward. But try and be gentle to yourself and not beat yourself up, it's very hard work and frustrating when we don't see outcome. Be loving and kind to yourself, this will allow you to set an objective with clarity and determination and reach a desired state of being. Cloudy thinking makes it impossible to see any light.

We've all been caught up in trying to find the next miracle mind body technique, but unfortunately there isn't one.

All I can suggest is to pick something that resonates, do it regularly, don't seek alternatives or ask too many opinions from others who may cause you to doubt what your objective is. In addition, start living, loving and focusing on what makes you happy.

Best regards,

Mike

Last edited: May 9, 2016
    breakfree, tgirl and Bodhigirl like this.
  3. Allund

Allund Peer Supporter

I have been looking for answers and ways of healing for so many years, trying desperately to find something that really cures me that it is now that I am starting to accept that each one of us has his own path, no one can save us but ourselves. In the end it is us who are going to live with us always. I am just trying to accept this and trying my best to accept the ups and downs, the scary feelings and symptoms in my body and let them go , and knowing that this will pass too, that I won't find all the answers but I will just try to live my life.
    Take care and good luck!

breakfree likes this.
  4. Boston Redsox

5. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Marco, as a person who has dealt with chronic pain for much of my life, I can SO sympathize.
    If you're seeing some benefit from the antidepressant, go with it and say "Better living through chemistry!" Seriously, don't mess with success. If it weren't for modern pharmaceuticals, I would have died in 2005.
    I also think that sometimes, the hardest thing we are called to do is to just keep putting one foot in front of the other. The daily walk is not easy.
    I'm praying you well.

6. Boston Redsox

Thx Gigi

At the moment relief is much needed and its giving me that threw chemistry or placebo I dont care, I feel resentment towards the pain or whatever is bothering us is the cause of our TMS its the fuel the burn the fire....I also believe most of us don`t like our dark side and we push it away.....I think Steve O mentions it in is book as our shadow side or dark side..I have been more in touch with it and I feel its created my hate and resentment towards everybody we come into connect with....kids that dont listen, wife that is unfaithful , we even blame our Dr for not curing us, all of these things old resentment. We need to release this hate and be more patient and not care so much or not react so badly to the caring.

Marco

mike2014 and yb44 like this.
  7. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Marco

My situation is little different to yours but I can definitely relate to the feelings of hatred and resentment towards others. The natural progression for me is to beat myself up for having those feelings and then try to isolate myself as much as possible so those feelings don't spill out, a sure fire way to create pain, anxiety and depression.. I haven't gone down the SSRI route but it has been suggested I try this. I have reservations.

However just today I was listening to the first talk of the neuroscience summit mentioned on another thread. The speaker, psychiatrist Dr Dan Siegal, is asked a question towards the end about anti-depressants. He confirms they do change the brain (neuroplasticity) but unless the drug is causing serious side effects, the resulting change can be of benefit. Many people on this forum have said they need to take the drugs because their symptoms ease off just enough for them to "do the work", whatever that means to each individual. In his own words Siegal basically says the same thing. Once on the anti-depressants one can continue to change their brain by means of mindfulness meditation, for instance. Taking the drugs won't prevent them from creating new neural pathways. They'll assist in the process.

Gigi and mike2014 like this.
  8. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Excellent post, you beat me to the comment about medication. It was a great talk and the questions were brill.