1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Anxiety mounting

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by GoneSplit, May 6, 2020.

Tags:
  1. GoneSplit

GoneSplit New Member

I was writing a response to a thread here, when I noticed the anxiety manifesting as chest pain. The thread was about depression, asking whether anyone has had depression "due to TMS". I tried making my case for it, because the experiences I have had tells me the theory is real. I think my fear is that the OP will reject my post, and that their belief in TMS isn't there. The real worry is of course that TMS is not going to work for me, and that others believing in it will also help me. I have just started working with the TMS theory, and I think it will take some time to let it work on me.

My question is, what do I do in this case? I think I may be processing and outputting information too fast, and that I don't recognize the feelings I have, and so they manifest instead. That sounds silly even to me. Do I just keep at it, and the sensation will disappear? Also not sure if it's anxiety in response to anxiety.

2. GoneSplit

GoneSplit New Member

I think I just need to step back when I notice it, and talk to myself, ask questions like what am I feeling, how am I responding. Go slowly.

Edit: This behavior is responding to fear with fear. It's not a behavior I want to reinforce.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  3. GoneSplit

GoneSplit New Member

I didn't continue acting on this anxiety, and it eventually turned to a rumbling anger in my stomach, no doubt due to me giving into fear in the first place. But at least I am identifying emotions now. That is, connecting the manifestations with what I actually feel. Baby steps I guess.

4. Kittyruns

Kittyruns Peer Supporter

@GoneSplit I just want to reassure you that I also have chest pain when I get anxious. My sister does as well. Since we are both in our 50's we had a little chat about how we do have to be careful because chest pain "can" be serious as in heart attack serious and so we promised each other that if there were any questions about TMS chest pain symptoms vs true heart attack, we would get ourselves to the ER ASAP. I have done this once. I was at work at I started feeling sweaty and sick to my stomach. I then had a pain in my jaw. I left work and drove myself to the ER and had to stay over night. I was totally fine and know now that it was TMS as usual! The scary part is that TMS can manifest is so many ways and it's hard to keep track of all of them or to remember them when you are experiencing chest pain. I truly understand how unsettling this can be. I will sometimes awaken in the night with them as well. I have to get up and walk around and this somehow calms me a bit. You are 100% right when you say that you need to take baby steps. That is the best thing to do with TMS. Treat yourself tenderly and very gently and with lots of love and care....like you would a little child or cherished pet. Prayers and warm thoughts coming your way. *heart*