1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Anxiety makes everything worse

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Alfaman147, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Alfaman147

Alfaman147 Well known member

Would people agree with me to say that tms is a former of health anxiety???? Feeling pain which is real but constantly searching for an answer or reassurance. In my mind that makes things worse. I have pain but worrying about the pain and searching for answers is the trigger for me. I have muscle tension but because it's in such an intimate place it's consuming

Boston Redsox likes this.
  2. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Fear fuels it all

Steve J. likes this.
  3. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

Yes, it is a manifestation of anxiety, pure and simple. Having a pretty bad day today despite getting 6.5 hours of sleep last night (which is good for me nowadays). Fear feeds it which perpetuates the symptoms. The brain knows this and thus tries to move stuff around when we stop worrying about current symptoms so we always have to be on the lookout for that.

Thelauriebelle1 likes this.
  4. Alfaman147

How do we stop being afraid

5. Alfaman147

I suppose just carrying on without responding will eventually get rid of it. I'm so stupid to be afraid of something like that. I got rid of this for 18 months and I can do it again. I have to stop worrying and get out there and smell the roses haha

Steve J. and mdh157 like this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Alfaman. You know you were free of pain and fear before, so you also know you can do it again. Make that a positive mantra to remind yourself all the time.

Deep breathing and living in the present are two powerful antidotes to pain and fear. There are some very helpful free videos on both subjects at Youtube.

7. Alfaman147

I think the most important thing to do is to not dwell on the pain. If I do get it bad tomorrow I will try not to Google and worry. I have to say I have been prescribed a beta blocker. Only a fairly mild dose and they do seem to help. I don't have the feeling of wanting to run away or jump out of my own skin. But so far my pelvic muscles are not too bad. Atleast I know I have no actual physical illness which was my concern a few years ago. If I'm not too anxious the pain does not feel as bad or consuming and I can cope a bit better

8. Alfaman147

Oh and a glass of wine in an evening helps too haha. I guess alcohol works the same as a beta blocker. Lowers the heart rate and relaxes you

9. Alfaman147

What a surprise. Back at work today and it's back again. I had it last week but it eased off almost to the point of no pain at all. I felt fairly good last night and boom. I woke up this morning and I could feel it. Don't get me wrong it's not agony but very uncomfortable. A burning and pressure in the anus sensation. Maybe this was always going to happen today. I'm not even stressed at work. And like I say I have had this while off work so I can't blame my job. Maybe I was subconsciously expecting it. And it has brought me back to this forum again even though I really wanted to stop myself. I just cannot stop myself thinking about it.

10. Alfaman147

I want time off from work but I don't think that's the answer.

11. Steve J.

Steve J. Well known member

THIS

12. Alfaman147

Thanks Steve. My girlfriend just caught me looking up pelvic tension on Google and she told me off haha

13. Alfaman147

Just need to ride it out I guess. Is it a good idea to back away from this forum for a few weeks maybe

14. Steve J.

Ugh. Man. If I had a nickel for every time I went down that Google trap, I'd be a wealthy fella. It is so very tempting, but such a very, very terribly terrible idea.

15. Alfaman147

Have you come across my problem before with the pelvic stuff???

16. Steve J.

The way I look at is this: I'd much rather be on this forum than in Dr. G's waiting room, gnawing my fingernails and predicting my Stevepocalypse. But it depends on why you are here. Are you here to gather info? Or is the time you are spending merely a compulsive manifestation? I find that if it is the latter, it is time not well spent.

17. Steve J.

Have I experienced pelvic symptoms personally, do you mean? I have not. But there are many on this site that have. Try to breathe, brother.

18. Alfaman147

Not yourself just if it's a common tms area so to speak. And I know it's psychological but I seem to be on here to search for someone with the exact same problem as me. Which is ridiculous I know. I almost need to see it in writing that someone is exactly the same as me. With the same problem and here's how to fix it. I'm such a doofus. I need to stop.

19. Alfaman147

It's a compulsive thing. I feel pain all day so I must look on here for someone to tell me it's going to be ok

20. Steve J.

Hey hey hey. It's okay. No need to get down on yourself. We've all been there. I had significant healing last summer, but the pain and frustration have recently come storming back. As obsessive creatures, we of course want to indulge in the comfort that someone out there is experiencing exactly what we are. But if we overdo it, two things might happen: distraction in progressing, and it may preclude our own agency in healing. Connection is beautiful, but self-empowerment is paramount. Powermount. Sounds sort of x-rated.