1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

antidepressants

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by ellie freegan, Sep 17, 2015.

1. ellie freegan

ellie freegan Peer Supporter

If Depression is a symptom of mind body syndrome why do antidepressants work For me at least some extent Does anyone have any thoughts on This

2. IndiMarshall

IndiMarshall Well known member

If it works and if you get rid of it ....the mind will find another thing to trouble you..

Dr Sarno said.. if any mind body syndrome is removed artificially expect something else to take its place

3. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

If you are "clinically depressed" the right anti-depressant will calm you down enough so you can return to functioning. Functioning will make you feel emotionally better, getting back to your homeostasis (comfort zone), that worked for you prior to being overwhelmed by life. Your Sub-C chose a TMS/affective symptom as a PROTECTOR defense mechanism.

Being able to calm down your nervous system caused by adrenal overload, will allow you to do the TMS reflection, focusing on the emotional life issues, dealing with them head-on creating a new homeostasis.

I've taken Librium and Celexa for short-term relief of depression successfully. TMS related studies have shown small doses of anti-depressants helping with TMS back-pain, obviously easing the emotional pain causing the structural TMS symptom.

Being mis-prescibed, (IMHO) Lexipro, fired me up too much rather then calming me down. The Lexies agitated me enough to necessitate a mid-night visit to the ER with a panic-attack. But, some people swear by them.

I experimented with the Celexa for TMS/back pain finding it useful for the short-term, but I didn't like the detached, semi-zombie effect.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
    Hen and mike2014 like this.
  4. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Excellent advice

Tennis Tom likes this.
  5. angelic333

angelic333 Peer Supporter

Interesting about the lexipro, I too had a similar experience several years ago, severe anxiety and thoughts of hurting myself, an overnight in psych ER. I thought it just stopped working.
    I was switched to Zoloft and Deplin, and the symptoms went away. I have now been off everything for a about two years with the help of mindfulness and meditation. I still have episodes of anxiety but they are generally not paralyzingly and I can work through it.

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Ellie. We need to focus on the emotions causing our TMS pain but sometimes we need a little help from an antidepressant. But I avoid the strong stuff like Valium or Librium because they can have bad withdrawal symptoms. I have read good things about Now brand True Calm which has Gaba and other natural ingredients that create a calming effect. I myself had good results from taking one Kava Kava which got me through a stressful experience a few years ago. Dr. Sarno says there is no harm in taking an antidepressant, so long as we keep working on the TMS causes of our anxieties or pain. Depression can best be fought by thinking positive and living in the present moment, not in the future.

7. sheron35

sheron35 Newcomer

It hard to say it's inconclusive after countless millions of real world users over 50 years. You can find people who've been on benzos pretty much non-stop for the last 50 years. You'll likely find them in places the elderly hang out, since one clearly can't be too young if they started on Librium or Valium when they were new drugs. One can definitely study the long-term effects of such drugs as they've been around long-term in real world use. No clinical trial can come close to replicating reality like actual reality can.

8. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Good TMS advice!