1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Antidepressant.

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Boston Redsox, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Is there anybody take them, it seems to stop my racing mind. I would like some feed back on anybody who is taking them.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

What antidepressant are you taking?

My mind races too, especially when I am in bed trying to get to sleep.
    I don't take any medication, I just practice deep breathing and tell myself I will put off any
    worry or things I have to do until morning. If that doesn't do it, I count backwards
    from 100 to 1 once or twice while deep breathing and before I know it, I'm asleep.

Antidepressants, says Dr. Sarno, keep us from discovering the TMS causes of our symptoms.
    Repressed emotions (anger) and/or our perfectionist or goodist personality.

But I do know that antidepressants may be necessary at times.

3. Boston Redsox

Walt

I tried those things but I can't seem to stop my mind at times which causes me severe anxiety and can't get to sleep which causes my pain levels to escalate . I don't agree with Sarno regarding the antidepressant if anything it has slowed my mind down where I can know see issues that I was not looking at due to be in the state of constant anxiety. Dog chasing tail I guess.

4. Boston Redsox

Lexapro

5. Markus

Markus Guest

I just started taking wellbutrin again,it has done wonders for me before so, if I allow myself to see it through it may be a great help.

6. Boston Redsox

I hope you get some relief Markus

7. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Boston,
    I take the antidepressant trazodone. I tried going off of it gradually about a year ago, but I became pretty depressed and couldn't get myself out of it. So I went back on the medication. I've taken it for decades, so there is a rebound effect when I decrease it. My brain just doesn't like the change. Someday I'll try again, and will maybe be able to get through it.

8. Markus

Markus Guest

I took trazedone once for a few weeks but it gave me a really stuffy nose..no more of that for me. I didn't even have chronic pain then I was in my early 20's. I think all of us with pain or anxiety would love to be off our meds.........
    But in the real world.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2015
  9. Ellen

I think the debate about whether or not to take meds for TMS is an example of a classic internal conflict that can fuel TMS. My superego says I shouldn't take meds and should work through the issues, and my id says I just want to feel better now. I think once we make the decision either way, we just need to accept it and move on. There may come a time in the future when it seems feasible to stop taking a particular medication, but if you decide to take it now, don't beat yourself up over it.

10. Boston Redsox

Ellen

I have been in internal conflict over this for the past 6 months and i coming to the point where i need some relief ASAP

linnyc87 likes this.
  11. Markus

Markus Guest

Yes it's amazing how we can live with out something we know will help us. When the time is right you will taper off. I know I need to stay with my antidepressant for 6-8 weeks but, I could tell I was getting worse and worse.

12. Samwise

Samwise New Member

I was also in a dilemma about taking an antidepressant. But I just got to the point where I couldn't function any longer, and Dr. Schechter (a TMS doctor) finally convinced me to go on Lexapro 10mg. I've actually obtained some mental clarity since I've started it about a month ago. My heart is no longer pounding 24/7 like it used to and even my insomnia resolved since using it. I'm still working on my other issues, such as tinnitus and hyperacusis, but after having my sympathetic nervous system so revved up for the last several years, I know it will take time for these symptoms to quiet down. In the end, after fighting for the last several years to stay off antidepressants, I just realized that my pain, anxiety, and depression were just progressively getting worse. So I'm actually glad that Dr. Schechter convinced me to start them as I feel like now I have a fighting chance to stay positive through it all. Now I just need to have faith in myself that I can get through this and be thankful for everything great I have going on in my life right now.

linnyc87 and Boston Redsox like this.
  13. Boston Redsox

Good for you for taking care of yourself

14. Ellen

I know, Boston, I've been reading your posts on this for some time. Be good to yourself. Just take them if you need to. And stop second-guessing your decision. Then tell yourself you'll take them for X amount of time, and re-evaluate it at that time. Sometimes we just need to make a decision and commit to it, knowing there are no perfect paths toward healing.

Boston Redsox and Mala like this.
  15. Boston Redsox

Ellen

I agree i am back on them without no guilt ..i need to get my body back to where i was calmer and not in so much pain but not to a point where i am totally out of it.
    I am trying Dr Hanscom approach to healing. It seems interesting with a different twist

16. Mala

Mala Well known member

Marco its very obvious from yr posts even previous ones that there seems to be a kind of internal conflict about taking the meds. Like one part of u wants to and another part is telling u not to. It may be the perfectionist in u that doesn't want to take the meds. It must be very hard but pls don't be too hard on yrself.

If u need relief then that is what u need, Don't beat yrself up about it. Accept the situation and show yrself some compassion & understanding. Think of what u would say to a close friend if he or she were in the same situation. Use that same voice of reason for yrself. Accept the situation & the need for the meds at the present time. Instead of seeing the meds as something negative, tell yrself that they can only help. Like Ellen said, u can re evaluate the situation when u are feeling better both physically & emotionally.

All the best.

Mala

linnyc87 and blake like this.
  17. Boston Redsox

Thx so much for your compassion Mala and yes i am going to show myself compassion and stop beating myself up about i am going threw bad time and i need the help.

God Bless

18. Merilu

Merilu New Member

I am currently trying to reduce gabapentin and was contemplating on going on the lowest dose of zoloft from talking with other mothers who have taken it for depression/anxiety. I have never been on any prescription medicine except for my thyroid until this awful nerve pain began. I am thinking maybe the zoloft will help my mind relax and help me heal but I am afraid of taking stuff that alters the mind. My depression/anxiety have skyrocketed because of the pain and not having any answers. Like you said Boston Redsox, I feel like a dog chasing my tail.

linnyc87, Boston Redsox and Lizzy like this.
  19. Boston Redsox

If the gaba helps you dont beat yourself up take the meds and work on your tms if ubrwad the warning label on tylenol u would not take that either

20. EricFeelsThisWay

EricFeelsThisWay Peer Supporter

Have anti-depressants helped with the physical pain? I was on Effexor for 6 months and it made me wake up at 6am to compose music but the pain was still there :-/