1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Antidepressant

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Boston Redsox, May 5, 2016.

1. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Hello tms family have not posted for a bit been living life and trying to move on. I have been put on Zoloft 3 months ago and I slowly noticed that anxiety and pain levels dimisnshed about 50 percent which was a major relief especially my anxiety. My dr put me on it because my BP was spiking so high do to anxiety levels. Anyway fast forward Bp under control anxiety pain down. I went to him regarding some sexual sides effects that where a little bothersome but not a deal breaker. He did not want to lower it do to the anxiety control but he said give it a try and see how you feel. Well my anxiety and pain are threw the roof and my pain levels have gone up. How can this med have so much control over me. But I did find that I was more at ease to go about my day be more in touch of emotions that came up and dealing with them. Lowering this dose I feel I am so disconnected from my feeling that my pain increases and I am not able to be mindful

2. Ftaghn!

Ftaghn! Peer Supporter

I had a similar experience. Antidepressants gave me my life back during a difficult time. But one thing to note is that there are a lot of them, and while the process is troublesome, it's important to find the one that works right for you. With that said, what you're feeling sounds like withdrawal, so it's important to taper off gradually if you want to lower your dose. SSRI are notorious for super intense withdrawals.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  3. Boston Redsox

Thx I am on a very low dose I went from 50 mg for about 11 weeks down to 25 mg ... For the last 2 weeks

4. stayfit65

stayfit65 Peer Supporter

Hi Marco,
    I am glad to hear from you--you have been on my heart.
    I'm on Paxil 30mg. I had to go back to it because I couldn't manage the burning pain and anxiety. But after only a month I'm tremendously better. I'm still working on changing my thinking patterns while on this med. There are some ups and downs but mostly ups. I'm not going to stop fighting and I look at the meds as a stepping stool to help me win. Keeping you in my prayers.
    Stayfit

Tennis Tom and Boston Redsox like this.
  5. Mark W

Mark W Peer Supporter

Hi Marco,

I'm just wondering if you are working with a mental health professional at all also. Antidepressants do help, but research shows they are even more effective when combined with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). If you haven't tried this, it may be a good boost to go along with your zoloft.

I agree with Ftaghn!, it may be that another antidepressant would work better for you. Speak with your doc and and you can work together to find the one that works best for you. The effectiveness and side effects of antidepressants can vary widely between people, so experimenting with different ones is often the best way to get the optimal response.

Good luck!

Tennis Tom likes this.
  6. Boston Redsox

Yes I do see a Therpist once to twice a month and yes it is a good add on to my AD .

7. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

Just wondering if you have read Dr Claire Weeks book Peace from Nervous Suffering, a book recommended on wiki? I have found this book profoundly helpful dealing with pain/anxiety/depression. Her methods can be applied to all of these symptoms effectively.

8. Boston Redsox

Yes read it 3 times it's very good