1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Anti-anxiety meds?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by hawaii_five0, Jun 7, 2021.

1. hawaii_five0

hawaii_five0 Well known member

If your anxiety/obsession is causing most of your symptoms, it seems like it would very beneficial to use anti-anxiety meds to some degree to get you closer to where you want to be? Wondering if anyone has experience/thoughts about this. I certainly don't want to be on meds. But I would love to get my brain back to remembering what "normal" is Thanks so much.

2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

There's nothing wrong with it if you need a 'break'. When I had TMS and didn't know it I always found Benzo's made the pain go away better than any painkiller, which was a sign that anxiety is a part of it.But..they never made it completely go away....just took the edge off. If your gonna take em, you might want to use that time to ask yourself what your so anxious about.

Cap'n Spanky and hawaii_five0 like this.
  3. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

I understand how you feel. I took a low dose of amitriptyline (Elavil) a long time for anxiety. I just recently got off. The bitch is they can be very difficult to get off. At least that was true for me. Better to never start, if you can.

My strong recommendation would be to take up mindfulness meditation. It does wonders for anxiety and other issues, and it's much, much better for you than taking meds. It also folds nicely into this program.

I don't know if could have every gotten off the amitriptyline if it were not for meditation.

hawaii_five0 and Sita like this.
  4. hawaii_five0

hawaii_five0 Well known member

Thanks to both of you for your experiences. Very helpful. Yes I am trying to meditate as well as other "natural" methods.

Cap'n Spanky likes this.