1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Another Miracle

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Livvygurl, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Livvygurl

Livvygurl Well known member

Hi All,

I hope everyone is well! I got my teeth cleaned today and I had zero tooth sensitivity/pain. This may have to do with the TMJ, neck, and shoulder release that I experienced one month ago. Thank you Dr. Sarno, I love you <3

This is interesting, I guess pain is pain including issues that are in the dental realm. I am on the periodental cleaning plan, so I go 3 times a year. For years I had really sensitive teeth and had them put this numbing gel on my teeth before they began to do the cleaning but even then, it still hurt. Today reminded me of when I was a carefree kid at the dentist, no pain, just daydreaming and relaxing. I am so haPPY!

Livvy ~ :D

veronica73 likes this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Livvy, this is SO cool. I totally empathize, as I am a terrible dental patient, due to extreme drilling pain before I was age ten - before fluoride toothpaste was invented. No carefree childhood dentistry for me! We all had mouths full of cavities in spite of twice-a-day brushing. I believe our family dentist ordered all of his patients to start using Crest the second it came out - and thank goodness for that - it was a damn miracle.

Anyway, I had a crown done just a few weeks ago, and my dentist does not use nitrous. He's really good at getting me numb (it usually takes extra anesthetic, which is why I had so much pain as a kid, because they weren't allowed to use that much novacaine a child) but this time I was still feeling a little bit of nerve pain even after three shots. A year ago I would have been freaking out. This time, however, I kept repeating in my head, over and over "it's only a little pain, it's not harmful, there is no danger, stop sending a pain signal" and at the same time I consciously relaxed my whole body. I can't say that the nerve pain (which really was very little) actually went away, but these strategies distracted me enough that my dentist was able to complete the job with a minimum of fuss. I was pretty proud of myself, in fact.

Exactly. Never forget: all pain, no matter the reason or the apparent source, is a message created by the brain, intended to alert us to danger. Really, truly understanding that, gives us the power to change the message. It's not easy (if it was, we'd all be doing it) but it can be done.

Yours in pain-free dental health :D

Jan

Livvygurl likes this.
  3. dabatross

dabatross Well known member

this is great to hear livvy what practices have you been doing to treat your TMS? sounds like they're working

4. Lori

Lori Well known member

Glad to hear Livvy. I know that feels great! I used to have dental issues but since I have done so much personal work on myself in the past five years, pain/bleeding/gum issues are no longer a problem. YAY! I do believe clearing and resolving our "issues" affects us in many wonderful ways!

Hugs!

5. Livvygurl

Livvygurl Well known member

Jan, The above quote is a great technique, I want to incorporate that mantra into my TMS tool kit!

Dabatross, I have been mediating, eating kale salads, talking to my brain (self-coaching), telling my body it is healed, allowing myself to feel any/all emotions, reading Dr. Sarno, and trying to find a therapist that will let me really Scream my guts out! LOL!! :)

Lori, Glad to hear of your strides with personal work, please share some more insights about your journey. What golden self-care skills have worked for you?

I just read the chat with SteveO and I am really inspired on a lot of of levels. What a lovely group we are!

Livvy ~

6. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Hi Livvy:

So glad to hear of your improvement! Tooth pain is no fun. I've had some personal milestones, but also some new symptoms. I think we simply observe, and do our best to relax and release. That is what I'm trying anyway. I've started getting dizzy. Never been one to have dizzziness - so I tell myself - TMS this will pass. And it's working. Still have the lower back pain, but once we have some positive results I think it helps us to believe in the diagnosis 100%!

Hope this week is better. You must have really clean teeth! I floss and use my sonci care every day.

Keep on keepin' on!

BG

Livvygurl likes this.