1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

anorexia

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by miquelb3, Mar 9, 2018.

1. miquelb3

miquelb3 Well known member

I wonder if alimentary disorders are just a form of TMS

comments welcomed, thanks !

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

LOL, miquel - I had to look up "alimentary" to learn that it means having to do with nourishment.

I'm not a TMS practitioner or any kind of health professional, but by being close to this work for six years, and knowing that anorexia is a mental disorder, then yes - along with anxiety, depression, OCD... I can see how anorexia might be one of the TMS "equivalents". It could be characterized as a "distractive" condition.

3. fern

fern Well known member

I think much of the emotional fuel for my IBS is that it makes me afraid of food, which is such a basic human need and source of pleasure, both physically and socially. It makes itself a constant distraction that way, even in the absence of pain. So I can see the similarities to anorexia and other eating disorders there.

4. giantsfan

giantsfan Well known member

In a sense, I believe so, but more so I think it's a distraction. One of many distractions a person can use (excessive work, tv, drugs, social gatherings, exercise, etc.). From what I've learned and understand, eating disorders are merely a sign of something emotionally troubling going on. It gives a person who feels like they've lost control of many things in their life some sense of control. What you eat (orthorexia), or how much you eat (anorexia, bulimia) allows the person to feel in control of something. During my eating disorder I feel as though I used it because I couldn't control all of my pain/symptoms, but I could eat a "perfect" diet.

5. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Ewok2 likes this.
  6. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

Overeating. Flip side of the same coin some would say. On a website about eating disorders, one article attempts to give a psychological profile of an overeater.

Most, but not all would describe themselves as kind.
    Most put others first and attend to the needs of other people and not themselves
    Most, but not all have some difficulty knowing or expressing needs
    Many, but not all lack clarity about how they feel and cannot manage their feelings properly
    Most, but not all have low self worth
    Most, but not all need to be liked

The list above could be used to describe many amongst us who suffer from other TMS symptoms too. So yes, I agree with what Alan writes on the link provided by Plum. Eating disorders are a form of TMS.

I understand this intellectually but absorbing this on a deeper level rather than consuming the entire contents of the biscuit tin/cookie jar is still a work in progress.

BloodMoon and JanAtheCPA like this.