1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

ankle injury

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by ellie freegan, Aug 5, 2015.

1. ellie freegan

ellie freegan Peer Supporter

I Twisted my ankle Last week And
    although It Didn't look swollen It is still painful when I stand for any length of time. I Have hurt my ankle many times before So I wonder if it's the fear Of It not getting better for a long time That is keeping up the pain. A Doctor said it looks like there is Some tendon damage but maybe the fear is making the pain worse What does anyone think.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. riv44

riv44 Well known member

I wish I had read your post before I posted mine! I had a nasty spill from my bicycle today. I was on my way to the gym which was one of my recovery goals. I jolted the vulnerable part of my back and also bruised my eye in the same place where I recently had surgery. I am trying hard to stay positive, but I feel like my avatar, just crawling along. I guess I would say to you to take care of your ankle, and then as it heals continue on your TMS recovery. Don't be afraid. So I will tell myself the same thing.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Ellie, I advised rivrr to soak in a tub of warm water with some Epsom salts. It's pure magnesium, a mineral that helps us heal.
    You cold soak your feet and ankles in a pan of warm water and a cup of Epsom salts and you will heal fast. It works for me.
    Buy Epsom salt at your grocery or drug store. Keep it handy and read about it on google or watch videos on it at Youtube.
    It's amazing and, together with TMS knowledge, heals us.

4. ellie freegan

I'm still having pain in my ankle after more than two months so I guess this must be due to Tms and that any physical damage will have healed but wondering whether to play tennis again I guess my worry is that fear will make me more likely to re-injur it

5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Fear will definitely make you more likely to re-injure it! Fear keeps us down, it distracts us from being present (thus the liklihood of injury, and clearly causes anxiety - which is just another distraction. Changing the negative self-talk is your goal - and you do that by literally talking to your brain and giving it a different, more constructive, positive message to counteract the negative one.

6. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

I think once you've given it a reasonable amount of time to heal and in the right conditions, but the pain persist, then it could well be a learned pain . However since you've described this as a new injury, I wouldn't say your particular injury is a learned pathway of pain yet. G ive it a few weeks, get it checked by a Dr to rule out any serious injury, let it mend and if it still persist then treat as TMS.

If you hadn't done anything to your foot and the pain started, but had a historic injury, then you could treat as TMS immediately because it's more than likely a learned pathway which was activated by TMS.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  7. ellie freegan

Thanks everyoneI did twist it playing football but I've injured the same ankle many times so could be learned pathway

8. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

No swelling is a good thing. Depending on the severity of strain it may need Need to give it more time. But generally I would test the limits carefully until I get back to normal level of activity. Have you ever tried arnica gel for pain?

9. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, if you still have pain after 2 months, it is Tms. Stop your fear of the pain and focus on other parts of your body that has no pain if you have to think of the body then think of the other foot.
    I twisted my ankle today and guess what, it feels great right now, how? I kept working and didn't fear or focus on it. I also layed my hands on my ankle and imagined and felt healing white light flooding into my ankle. I was basically better right then and there.
    You have already created neural pathways of pain to your ankle after two months so take it easy for a few days believing you are healed and daily do just a little more than the day before in your activities, you will thank me soon if you stop the fear focus.

10. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Nice NOCEBO the white coat laid on you! If you tweaked your ankle then of course there's some tendon and ligament stretching. "Damage"? I've sprained my ankles many times and they're good as new now. The first was the worst, it took a year to not be able to remember which one it was. Subsequent ankle sprains only took a few weeks to heal, depending on severity. Trainers tape is a good symptomatic remedy to immobilize the joint to stay in the game.

If you are fearful then it's making the pain worse--TMS is the volume control for the pain.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  11. ellie freegan

Hi just been reviewing this thread as my ankle has been hurting again every now and then. Although I played basketball yesterday and it was fine. I just wondered how you're so sure that after two months it would have definitely healed. Couldn't not resting it prolong pain? Also would you say that all body parts heal within two months? Asking because as I posted on another thread my dad has pain in his rotator cuff from an injury a few months ago and am trying to convince him it's Tms but he won't believe me that all body parts heal in a couple of months. So trying to find evidence of this from people who make these claims thanks a lot

12. Tennis Tom

Generally the body does a grand job of healing itself in due course--there are too many variables to say outright how long--everyone's "due course" may vary. If you saw my post above, I said it took me a year before I could not remember which ankle I sprained--but I didn't stop running and continued doing marathons that year--not the following week thougharmscrosseddenial. I did all the things I had to do to treat it from initial sports taping to immobilize the joint and progressively onto other symptom relievers like Koban bandages and neoprene sleeves.

Since this is a the TMS Wiki, I would look at the Rahe-Holmes List, (put it in the
    SEARCH box and you'll find it), for TMS stressful life events that may be exacerbating his rotator-cuff "injury". The TMS pain volume control may be turned up on his spot, or it may just be the natural course of healing for him--I just wouldn't go rushing out and scheduling a surgery just yet.

13. riv44

riv44 Well known member

It probably won't work to try to convince someone he has TMS. It could create conflict, more stress and more subjective pain.

14. Tennis Tom

You're probably right, Sarno should have never written his books, look at the world he has created.

15. riv44

riv44 Well known member

This is not what I am saying, Tom. I'm sure you didn't intend to come across as snarky. It is a very sensitive matter to "try to convince" anyone, particularly family members, that there is a psychological component to their chronic pain. It will be met with resistance.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  16. Tennis Tom

Actually I was being sarcastic, but maybe snarky is the new sarcasm. I'm well aware of the hazards of proselytizing TMS, having done it for decades--it's a part of the TMS personality--GOODISM. I see no problem with a daughter trying to ameliorate her father's pain as Ellie is trying to do. If you love people you want to help them overcome unneeded pain. I've given out many used copies of Dr. Sarno that I buy cheap on Amazon, and once in a while someone will come back to me and say they "got it!" All you can do is try, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

As the Good Doctor theorized, many people need TMS for PROTECTION. When I encounter someone who needs their TMS for a defense mechanism more then they need to get over it, I don't bother. Dr. Sarno did the same, he selected those who he felt would "get it", to save the time and money of those who obviously wouldn't benefit from a change of mind. I don't invest much effort into changing someone's mind, but if it sounds like they truly want to get better, I'll offer them the TMS pitch. Most people today accept that stress is not good for you.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  17. riv44

riv44 Well known member

Thanks for clarifying. TMS is also counterintuitive, and thee is a whole industry built up to support why people should accept and suffer chronic pain.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  18. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm no Dr. But if a broken femur bone, which is the biggest bone in the body can heal in 6 Weeks, well I think you get the picture. With that said once tms is involved it could take a lot longer time to reprogram your thoughts and create new neural pathways so you can heal. Keeping up with how long healing takes is tmsing in itself so we need not bother with any time anyways, that's a no no. Hope you get to feeling better soon, thanks.
    Once your dad stops fearing the pain in his shoulder he will begin to heal but only after he begins to focus on his repressions and begins to feel those feelings that are created from those repressions.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    Tennis Tom and mike2014 like this.
  19. riv44

riv44 Well known member

...with a sensitive professional, one hopes, for safety's sake.

20. Tennis Tom

Hi Herbie! Wassup, where you been hiding? I recall you were moving from one state to another. Glad to see you posting again. Any chance you will do another TMS phone call-in show again?

Cheers,
    tt/lsmft