1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Anguish of setbacks

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Buckyblue, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Buckyblue

Buckyblue New Member

I have made great strides over the past few months, but I have a new symptom that has invaded my mind and body. Previously, I had severe calf cramping, forearm pain/cramping and knee pain, especially the right knee where I had surgery. Also, I deal with anxiety and the lingering effects of a depressive episode. I have been running 3 miles everyday for the past 2 weeks and magically after day 3 the bulk of my knee pain and calf cramps went away. I now have a slight numbness in my right thumb and index finger tips. It is intermittent throughout the day and at times it feels more like I have a glove on that hand when I touch things. I find myself testing it all the time. It is in my left hand as well but not nearly as much. At times there are “waves” of warmth/sensation that flow over my arm and it feels normal for a little while.

any thoughts?
    I am very frustrated to see one thing go and have another seemingly more troublesome problem arise. It messes with my mental state and progress in general. Any support or theories are appreciated.

2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Totally Normal. It's one of the most common minor TMS 'warnings' I get . I got it right after I got well the first time and I have had it again as recently as this month (for a day or so). Of course, to be a nuisance, I first noticed it during my ball game. I wasn't doing so well.
    --a lot of the time it starts when I sit down to play guitar, but I have learned to play right through it....as well as I can with a numb hand.

I sat down and made a list and like always, found some anger inducing stuff I was 'ok' with... or maybe Not so ok down there.

I suppose it is just a little ischemia in the hand or nerve.... just enough to make it numb/painful/weird feeling. It went away right after my 'aha', or at least it stopped occupying my attention.
    That's the real clincher right there. TMS is made to distract..

3. Buckyblue

Buckyblue New Member

Thanks for the reassurance! It is very odd but definitely does the intended effect of occupying my thoughts and dropping my mood. It feels better when I run, or do something physical, then sets in again when I become sedentary. I wonder if this is the blood flow thing. TMS is still something I am working to believe 100% even though the evidence, running for 3 days then having my knee pain feel 85% better, suggests TMS. That doesn’t happen with a truly structural abnormality in the knee.

4. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

Emotions and blood flow