1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Angry shivers / twitches?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Ben117, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Ben117

Ben117 New Member

Hi everyone,

I've noticed something recently and was just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

I understand one of the main emotions associated with TMS is anger and repressed rage. Well, aside from having tense muscles and clenched teeth I've also noticed that if I'm just sitting still, doing nothing much at all, and think about or imagine smashing the nearest window or throwing something across the room, or shouting at someone I'm angry with etc., I get a shiver / twitch. I feel it across the top of my back and in my neck. It's uncontrollable, like a spasm. It happens every time I think about expressing my anger in some way. Was just wondering if anyone's noticed this. Could this be more evidence I'm suppressing a lot of anger that could be the cause of my pain? Even though the pain is in my groin rather than the top of my back / neck

Thanks

Ben

Tennis Tom likes this.
  2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Sound's like a good TMS incite Ben! A shiver or a twitch is more socially acceptable then saying or doing how you really feel. :vamp:bangheada :mad:

3. Ben117

Ben117 New Member

Thanks TT.

Just need to find the most healthy way of dealing with that anger, as just being aware of the TMS process doesn't seem to be enough for me. At least not yet...

4. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Ben, I have experienced the exact same thing. It's a very clear example of the body~mind momentarily blipping on the screen before going off radar again. Savour the insight.

My tms is pretty much exclusively in my mouth and jaw region therefore the tms and anger connection has nowhere left to hide. I'm at a point of tms awareness where I can feel it whispering, almost tickling along the nerves sometimes. I've taken to observing it.

Final thought, how closely does this spasm feel to those times when you realise you are clenching your fists in anger? Have you ever done it so strongly that your nails leave bite marks in your palm? Yet at the time you didn't know you were doing it.

mike2014 likes this.
  5. Ben117

Ben117 New Member

Hi Plum, thanks for your reply. I've seen a few of your posts on here and you have a great way of explaining things in a clear, vivid way - which is very helpful. Your idea of 'blipping on the screen' is a great example of this!

I can definitely relate to the whispering and tickling along the nerves. Before I developed physical symptoms I wouldn't have noticed how 'wired' my nerves are and how tense my body is, but having developed TMS this is now something I'm aware of and know I need to deal with if I'm going to get better!

It is similar to clenching fists and grinding teeth, and I do both those things a lot, often without being aware of them. I developed a month or so of jaw pain last year from all the teeth grinding. But these shivers/spasms/twitches are different as they only really occur when I am actually feeling very angry (i.e the anger is not just in my subconscious) or when I think about expressing my anger through acting out in some way.

To me these shivers just seem like more evidence there is a lot of anger that needs to come out / be dealt with. And if there's that much anger bubbling away beneath the surface, then that anger seems like a likely cause of my symptoms and pain.

Ben

mike2014 and plum like this.
  6. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

It isn't socially acceptable to smack someone on the back of the head who probably needs a good smacking. You can't do that anymore because there will be a law suit. But, when your TMS RESERVOIR OF RAGE is filling to overflowing, you can lower it by other means such as exercise or a massage to release some of the pent up bodily tension. If you're at work maybe you can excuse yourself and run around the block as hard as you can or jog the stairwell. Although I haven't tried it, I think Reichian therapy is based on release of psychological tensions by beating up on mattresses and screaming. If anyone has tried it please let me know more, seems like a lot of fun.bangheada:arghh::punch::punch::punch:.

mike2014 and plum like this.
  7. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Ben, thanks for those kind words. My understanding of tms is a fruit of being what Forest affectionately calls 'an old timer'. I guess I know the beast and it's tricks quite well and I remember how baffling it was at the beginning. Anything I can do to help others is a pleasure.

When all is said and done, and psychological theories are safely tucked up in bed, psychology itself is really just a grand case of pattern recognition. From the forensic profiling of serial killers to the much-humbler yo-yo dieter, all a psychologist is actually doing is tracking down and exposing patterns and then determining appropriate remedies.

TMS healing is no different and no less fascinating an endeavour. We get to know ourselves within the real life context of "the unexamined life is not worth living" (Socrates).

Those differences you observe between the spasm and the clench are a key. Having experienced both I think that you are quite right; the spasm is indicative of that unconscious volcanic rage whereas the clenching fist is an altogether more conscious fight~flight mediated reaction.

Have a gander at this post which I responded to earlier for more thoughts on these lines:

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/stress-headaches.13092/ (Stress headaches)

The more we attune to our body, the more secrets and mysteries it will yield.

Plum x

mike2014 likes this.
  8. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Frankly, more's the pity. There are entirely too many eejits around these days who I could happily brain without pity or tiring.

In lieu I find exercise, rock music and ranting do well. (And crafting my deadpool...:p).

mike2014 and Tennis Tom like this.
  9. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

Ben, I have a similar problem.......I noticed back in 2007 that I was clenching at night so I got a mouth guard from the dentist but based on my dreams/thoughts at night there are things I go through during the day that affect my sleep and peace of mind. I have sporadic hand/arm pain and muscle twitching all over and this has led to me believe I have ALS or some other serious disorder that will cripple or kill me which has only exacerbated my stress. This has been going on for 20 months now and it is likely I'd have serious physical problems by now if that was the case but it does not keep me from worrying about it despite being told by my Doc/friends/family that there is nothing serious going on. Everyone thinks I am crazy.

With all of this I did have a problem with my in-laws, and even though that has resolved I think there is lingering anxiety as a result.

My point is this.......don't let anything build up........you may have to throw something, scream, etc to let the steam off but it is a healthier alternative to letting it build up in your system as we all know anxiety is not a problem that can be fixed overnight. Sitting there fuming is only hurting you.

10. untangledweb

untangledweb Peer Supporter

Have you ever heard of TRE? (Tension Release Exercises) If you’ve seen dogs quiver when they’re afraid, it’s a natural response. When we’re fearful, we can have the same response and actually should to release the emotions.
    TRE’s are being used to help veterans coming back with PTSD. You can YouTube it and it gives you exercises to do to get your body to release and start shaking. The more you do it, the easier it becomes to just lay down and your body knows what to do.