1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

anger

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Mary80, Mar 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Mary80

Mary80 Peer Supporter

a question...
    how do you treat repressed anger? I realized that I still have anger repressed for an event happened a few years ago .. I thought I was free, because I wrote a lot and used ISTDP model , but yesterday while I was talking about this event with a friend I felt some feelings ..first of all...I felt warm ( my anger..) but soon after I felt anxiety...and then I understood ... I was holding back , so I repressed my anger. Do you have any suggestions?
    thanks

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

What you're doing is wonderful, just as it is. Anger needs to felt, inquired into again and again. Your anger is probably not something which can be "done." Your self-awareness is a loving attunement, which understands anger, anxiety, etc. without judgement. If there is judgement, or a need to "not be angry" this is usually the superego.

Ellen and plum like this.
  3. Mary80

Mary80 Peer Supporter

thanks for the answer Andy B, so don't you think it's sort of anger repressed and blocked by my fear?
    I remember that I thought .." I'm talking about this and I'm feeling anger (ok just anger) but ..but ..oh god I'm feeling bad..again "and then it's over..so I thought maybe I did not bring out all the repressed anger with the istp model about this event which was very painful for me..to the point of making me sick even now.

4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

It sounds like there is resistance to feeling the anger fully. You know the barrier: fear. Watch for Inner Critic activity (superego). This can feel like fear also. And know that this is a process, not an end goal. You have a lot of awareness, which serves you. Every time the anger comes up, link it in your mind to symptoms, and know that it does not have to "go away.' This is "thinking psychologically." Your fear that you're not doing it well enough, or deep enough can be observed, rather than believed.

Ellen, Durga, Mary80 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Mary80

Mary80 Peer Supporter

Yes I Think the same and I do not overcome this trauma ...my emotions are strong and I resist them :shifty: ...again. My inner critic has so much fun.I have a long way.

Thank you

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  6. Duggit

Duggit Well known member

Regarding anger under the ISTDP model, this is from Nat Kuhn MD, Intensive Short-Term Dynamic Psychotherapy: A Reference p. 70: "[M]any patients will ruminate on anger and resentment to avoid feelings of sadness and loss." Any any rate, in ISTDP feeling anger is the beginning, not the end, of the process.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018