1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

anger release or creation

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by ellie freegan, Nov 15, 2015.

1. ellie freegan

ellie freegan Peer Supporter

I was speaking to someone who does research into psychosomatic illnesses and he said that Hitting bed with tennis racket just creates new anger rather than releasing anger so is actually a negative thing to do what does anyone think about this? Thanks a lot

2. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes I agree with him, one needs to feed the inner child with love, compassion and a feeling of stability and warmth. If you keep feeding your mind with negative thoughts you will weaken your fight/flight response and immune system.

Balsa11 likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I find that being angry about anything before bedtime keeps me awake and angry. I try to relax an hour or more before bedtime by listening to calming music and watching relaxation videos on Youtube. If I do feel angry in bed, I tell myself I will think about it in the morning. Deep breathing and living in the present moment helps me to get a more peaceful mind so I can sleep. A cup of hot milk before bedtime also relaxes me.

Sienna likes this.
  4. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

This is a good strategy if you just got really angry and need to release the anger energy.

I do some karate punches combined with screaming to get it out of my system.

But just to hit a bed to release some repressed anger can only create more anger.

Sienna likes this.
  5. Zumbafan

Zumbafan Well known member

Dr Sarno said "the rage that is causing your pain, you will never feel". The unconscious works in silence. "Any anger you are aware of has nothing to do with TMS".

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
    Sienna likes this.
  6. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

I love releasing anger with a wiffle bat on a pillow or some such. Something that makes a real satisfying sound. I don't think it can hurt you, unless you're on the ropes with your superego, about your anger. And then anger/strength in dealing with the Inner Bully is also the correct response. I think the psychotherapy world has often asked this question ellie, and no great conclusions can be drawn. If it feels good, I say do it. Why not? If it is agitating, don't.

The skilled means of doing it is to physically feel the energy of release in your body, and not get caught that the object of your beating will actually "respond" to your expression. It is all about "energy" and about our own feeling of aliveness in our bodies that can provide support to "be ourselves" more fully. Sometimes in dancing I can feel so strong and muscular, and this is satisfying. This is what "beating the pillow" can give you access to. Or not.

7. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Sounds like fun to me bangheada. There's a form of Reichian Therapy that utilizes this kind of stuff as a catharsis of repressed emotions or "affects" for mindbody healing--or you can go over to the TMS Help site and let it all hang out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetotherapy.