1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Anger coming out in my dreams?...

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by sweetandsimple, Apr 1, 2019.

1. sweetandsimple

sweetandsimple New Member

Hi everyone. Still chipping away here at my TMS. Ive been working on things properly for about 3 months now and so far ive gotten rid of a few "lesser" symptoms (burning skin on my arm, body wide muscle twitching) but my main symptom of persistent facial tingling and burning is still here. Not giving up though!

Ive been doing alot of free writing style journalling (Nicole Sachs Journalspeak style) and its been interesting what ive been able to uncover. I was journalling on Saturday and started to feel really angry regarding a situation I was writing about. Im a CLASSIC REPRESSOR OF ANGER. I don't "do" being angry and until now have found it very hard to uncover it. It was a weird sensation. It made me feel a bit like I was floating and my body was sort of buzzing.

Anyways that night I had a dream about 2 people who really hurt me emotionally a long time ago (this was not what I had journalled about that day). In the dream these two people were saying awful things to me and I just snapped. I became very physically violent with both of them so much so the anger I felt woke me up.

I felt really disturbed and freaked out by this for most of that following morning but the more I thought about it, the more I thought that this was actually a positive thing. As I say, I am not by nature an angry sort of person. Its the one emotion I repress far more than anything else. I think this is firstly because my mother was a very angry woman when I was little and I can remember even as young as 6 years of age thinking I WILL NEVER BE LIKE HER. Her anger scared me and I think I sort of vowed I would never be angry. Not healthy I know. Also in my late childhood and teens I lived with my dad and step mum and was raised a Christian, so was repeatedly told that anger was sinful (which is crazy really because the bible actually says "in your anger do not sin" not "don't be angry ever"!)

Has anyone else experienced this as they've dug into the their TMS work? Im hoping this all means im beginning to get in touch with my anger- like its actually coming up to the surface. What do you think?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  2. AnonymousNick

AnonymousNick Peer Supporter

Very good sign I'd think. I've been waking myself up from obsessive dreams where I'm packing for a trip (and worrying I'm forgetting something) or I'm fixing something, etc. I don't have severe OCD but learning to step away from these goofy dreams (and then get back to bed in a more relaxed state) has helped in my waking life I believe. I used to get really nervy and perfectionist when I was cooking semi-fancy meals at home and now I actually enjoy it. We're getting to be more aware of these things. That's progress.

3. sweetandsimple

sweetandsimple New Member

wow! I have that same dream all the time. Im either forgetting something or I cant pack my stuff in time (for the flight/checkout time or whatever im packing for). It always happens when im more stressed than usual. Ive spoken to my therapist about it and she thinks its my subconscious feeling stressed about the lack of control I might feel I have over certain things.

4. AnonymousNick

AnonymousNick Peer Supporter

For me it's been about letting go of things. If I'm dreaming that I forgot to feed the chickens or something and then I wake up and realize I don't even have chickens, you kind of have to let it go! And I've gotten angry dreams too sometimes as well. That you woke up from your dream I think means that you just became conscious of your anger. You didn't have to finish pummeling them. ;) Since TMS begins in the unconscious, it makes perfect sense that sleep and dreams can be very relevant. The best thing I ever heard about dream interpretation was to just focus on what you were feeling in the dream and not all of the details.