1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

An Old TMS Symptom Back

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by GTfan, Apr 19, 2017.

1. GTfan

GTfan Well known member

Well an old symptom has resurfaced this week: chest tightness. And it's one of the most bothersome (aka distracting) for me. Well I guess any TMS symptom is bothersome in the moment, because that is how the process works.

Chest tightness was one of the first symptoms that I experienced, right after the panic attacks.

I haven't felt this constant unpleasant feeling since I was 22 (5 years ago). The trigger for this TMS was a couple of nights ago I had a crazy party night with some friends. I drank a lot, and did some cocaine and aderral and didn't sleep at all. I felt terrible the next day and convinced myself that I was going to have a heart attack and die.

Now boom, the chest tightness is here to distract me at all hours of the day. Now I know I shouldn't have taken the substances that I did, they are bad for me. But it's several days later, I'm physically fine and my mind is hanging on to this and really distracting me from something.

Its been pretty hard for me to relax and not think about the uncomfortable feeling even though I know for a fact that it is all just the brain tightening muscles in my chest wall close to my heart and lungs to make me feel uncomfortable.

I don't know what the root cause for my symptoms is, but I could use some help and reminders to help me get past this little relapse.

2. PainNoMore

PainNoMore Peer Supporter

yep, your brain is using that fear to distract you. reinforce your confidence that it's just TMS and since you know TMS is harmless, tell yourself that you couldn't care less if and when you feel the pain - that you know it's TMS and it's not going to hurt you. give yourself a pep talk, whatever it takes. and dig into your emotions. something's bugging you.

3. GTfan

GTfan Well known member

The hard part is getting past the fear. I'm afraid of the feeling because it's so uncomfortable. And it brings me back to the time before I understood TMS when I was 22 experiencing these symptoms. I used to think I wasn't in control, but now I know I am.

I guess it's just about refocusing, remembering what I know, and all that stuff.

I will really have to dig to what is bothering me...

4. Ftaghn!

Ftaghn! Peer Supporter

Hey, I had that too! It was one of my first symptoms, but it disappeared as soon as I had all of my medical tests, and they saw nothing. To their credit, they told me "It's definitely anxiety", and that made it go away. Hold on tight, you can do this

GTfan likes this.
  5. GTfan

GTfan Well known member

I think I went to the ER like 4 or 5 times when it first started. Every time they told me it was just anxiety or sore chest muscles from lifting or something.

Then it became a big deal where I thought it was acid reflux and esophagus spasms to the point where I had an endoscopy and the doctor told me that I had some damage from acid reflux. Then I did some more googling as the pain gradually moved and I thought I had TMJ.

Its funny how the TMS comes full circle, just whatever it takes to keep me distracted I guess

6. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

You may still have some "poisoning" from the alcohol and substances in your blood. If your liver is trying to flush it out, it can cause all different symptoms. Maybe try taking Vitamin E, two 400 mg caplets…about 4 hours apart. Also, drink quite a bit of water over the next 24 hours. You'll be okay.