1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 11 An Old Back Injury

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Willow, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Willow

Willow New Member

Hi All,

My main reason for learning about TMS was not to do with chronic back pain but far more to with chronic fatigue, IBS, depression and anxiety, back pain is a very minor issue for me however the whole TMS concept is just as relevant. When I read the article that accompanies Day 11 SEP http://www.runnersworld.co.za/injury-prevention/health-fitness/mind-over-matter/ (Mind Over Matter - Runner's World) with Dr. David Schechter it reminded me of a back injury that I sustained many years ago.

I was about 11/12 yrs old and I had some cousins come over to visit me so I decided to play that good old game of pretending that my bed is a trampoline and we all had a go at doing somersaults etc. It was great fun until I took my turn and I didn't quite roll over far enough when I was doing a somersault and fell very badly. This was probably the most agonising pain I had ever felt in my life, I heard the cracks in my back as I fell and I was also badly winded so couldn't cry out. Absolute panic went through my mind, I don't think it has occurred to me until now that I must have thought I was going to die there and then. Thankfully the air came back into my lungs and I was relieved, my cousins (who are about the same age as me) didn't know what was happening or what to do but they too seemed relieved.

My back was still in agony and I just felt scared and lonely because I didn't want to tell my parents about it because it was quite likely that I would have been told off for doing something so stupid. Their general attitude whenever I was ill was to trivialise it or dismiss it, I always felt as if I was putting them out when asking for basic help. It was frightening to be in such pain and to not know what the hell is going on, there was a great deal of pain in back for at least 6 weeks I seem to recall.

This was yet another event that contributed to me being in a hypervigilant state and avoiding situations which may lead to pain and danger, I quote from the article "...“Fear can set off a fight-or-flight system. Your muscles tighten and you burn up resources like adrenaline and energy reserves...this puts you at a disadvantage, leading to premature fatigue and sluggish, inefficient running.”

I have long been aware of this but learning about TMS has really driven the point home to me and thats why I stopped doing 'back bridging exercises' as soon as I first heard about this a few weeks ago and my back has been fine. Clearly the emotional pain and scars were far more significant than the considerable physical agony I had sufferred. Now it feels just great to know that fear can no longer hold me hostage, I am a free man.

Willow

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Willow. You've done a great job of reflecting on the repressed emotions of your boyhood back pain. I'm glad the back pain is gone, but sorry you have the other symptoms. Fatigue, IBS, Depression, and anxiety are familiar to me and many others. They are also typical symptoms of TMS. We are all living in very stressful times and those can add to our personal repressed emotions.

Deep breathing, positive affirmations, total belief that TMS will make us healthier and happier are the things you need to do. Watch as little TV news as you can since it is so depressing. Try to find ways to relax that do not involve watching electronic devices, or keep that to a minimal. Listen to music you like, read a good book, watch a funny movie. Be grateful for all the good things and people in your life. Live in the present moment, not the past or future.

3. Willow

Willow New Member

Dealing with the present moment is I think the most powerful tool I have available.