1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

An interesting find on the forum "Opportunistic TMS"

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Arnie, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Arnie

Arnie New Member

Re-reading BrianLeeJackson's story which is a recommended read on Day 2 of SEP, I've run into below post

27. RE: Good and bad of RSI Chronic Pain

May 11 2010, 7:10 AM EDT | Post edited: May 11 2010, 7:10 AM EDT

Great points, Peg, thanks for another great post.

Sometimes I wonder if there might be something that I can "opportunistic TMS." It's a term that I came up with for when there is a genuine structural problem going on in your body and parts of your unconscious mind latch on to that and amplify it, so that one's actual experience of it is far worse than is warranted by the structural problem and the pain and other symptoms persist long after the structural problem is resolved. Because the symptoms started with a structural problem, your mind takes them seriously and thinks of them as a big deal. Perhaps that could be how the symptom imperative could be involved with this.

The concept "Opportunistic TMS" mentioned above seems to correlate a part of with my earlier post, which is below;

What I believe now is that after 3 neck surgeries my neck was finally stable and pain free but somehow the nerve pain on the thumb that was registered when neck problems started with disc herniation remained in the brain even though there was nothing wrong with my hand-thumb. But following conventional medicine and its practitioners I ended up having the carpal tunnel surgery to get rid of it but the surgery made it worse by creating real trauma on my wrist (even after 6 months, the surgery location is inflamed and very sensitive to touch) Now my brain says "hey, I've been telling you that something was wrong with your thumb-wrist-hand even though there was nothing wrong with it, so it was definitely TMS at that time, now you created real acute trauma there and gave me more ammunition to fire at you and here I am firing at you with more/stronger symptoms.

What do you guys think about this?

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Arnie. I have been a TMS believer since I first learned about it three years ago and healed from severe back pain. I have read many posts from those who said surgery did not help them. Just two famous people who have had the same results are Tiger Woods and George Clooney. Both have had multiple surgeries for back pain and are still in pain. I agree with the philosophy of "Opportunistic TMS." I look upon it as another way of saying our emotions cause our pain.