1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

an extremely difficult period

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Pietro Carloni, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Pietro Carloni

Pietro Carloni Peer Supporter

Hello to the whole forum,
    I haven't written anything for a long time and I would like your opinion on what has been happening to me for a few months now.

the problem is the continual shifting of symptoms from one part of my body to another. In this period in particular I underwent a root canal treatment that has been overwhelming me for a month. I had a swollen cheek, I went to the dentist who had the wrong surgery leaving a portion of the nerve in the pulp chamber. ten days after the operation I have a relapse and I decide to turn to another dentist who, having identified the colleague's mistake, proceeds with the completion of the treatment. now the pain is diminishing, but a pain in my side has replaced my apprehension for dental pain. I think it is a distraction due to the growing anxiety that a toothache can return, but I would still like your opinion on the matter.

I am applying the techniques described in the pain recovery program and I must say that for the first week they have also taken effect, but a few days ago (about a week) I returned to a state of perennial agitation. I don't sleep well at night, I smoke a lot and I worry about every single alarm signal. I realize that I entered defensive mode, but as much as I try to see things from another perspective, I feel that the concern remains constant.
    On Thursday I met with my therapist to look for an exit strategy, but in the meantime I can't stop thinking compulsively about the symptoms (I also started googling again, although I had promised myself to abandon this practice).

In general it is a very difficult time for us; my wife has lost her job, we have two children and the youngest (almost two years old) has sleep problems. In addition, my job does not help me because the environment is very stressed with many deadlines and things to do and my boss is extremely aggressive (due to family health problems). I seem to live a nightmare in which I find it hard to carve out a space of wellbeing and I feel imprisoned by a thousand responsibilities that, despite everything, I can't accept.

At the family level things are not better, my dad has prostate problems with very high values and I am very apprehensive because he performed an important operation less than a year ago. With my parents we are far away and all this only adds to my sense of guilt for not being able to stand beside them in this delicate moment.