1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

An anniversary thing?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Gigi, May 5, 2014.

1. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

OK, TMS buds, I'm hoping for some insight.
    TMS has struck me in pretty violent fashion 2-3 times in my life, but I've been blessed to find great recovery from this last bout (that had me in a wheelchair) through the SEP and all of you.
    I've been pretty much symptom free for the last year. I had banished the horrible foot pain, and even tackled the migraines successfully. But for the last week I've been blasted with TMS symptoms, from horrible back pain to migraines to prolonged elbow pain from an injury 3 months ago, and my usual conversations with my subC aren't yielding results. I'm mystified--I'm on the downswing of the school year, and I can't identify any obvious stressors there.
    So I'm wondering, could this be an anniversary thing as I'm coming up on 1 year of health? Have any of you encountered this?
    TIA for the help!

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

I haven't encountered it Gigi. Is anything worrying you that's not out of the ordinary, it's just worrying you. Have you been in any type of fear?
    Now on the other side of the coin has tms ever came back when I had no control over the emotional distress, yes. So we will go from here and also I know you keep a good pratice on your life and health management skills and all but have you removed a tool that you have always used from the soothing factory. :)

3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Gigi,

Sorry to hear your TMS has returned. Could the time of year be a trigger for you? I realized I had a negative conditioned response to spring with lots of TMS increase. I'm not sure why on a conscious level, but my unconscious doesn't like spring. Once I made the connection, I've been able to overcome it for the most part.

Best wishes to you. You've overcome TMS before so I'm sure you can do it again.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Gigi, I don't think TMS revists us on anniversaries of starting or ending pain.
    We just have good days and not so good or better days.
    Think better days and not that any pain is coming back.

But Happy Anniversary anyway.

5. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

I was reviewing my journal from a year ago, when I read a lot of TMS literature. I happened upon something in my notes from Dr. Peter Zafrides: "physical pain can be eliminated when emotions are confronted with forgiveness." I walked to a mirror and told my subC that although I didn't appreciate the pain I'd been put through in the past week, I forgave it. The pain lessened immediately! I had about a day's reprieve, and then it came back. So I'm still working on it, but I'm grateful for the one day at least!
    Apparently I just need a greater variety of tools in my toolbox!

6. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

I love this Gigi, thanks so much for giving me a new tool for my toolbox, Awesome.:)

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Forgiving is one of the best tools for TMS healing.
    Forgiving the unconscious for giving us pain is, as Herbie says, "Awesome!"