1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Amazing TMS Development - Have to share!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by UkAdR, Jun 3, 2014.

1. UkAdR

UkAdR Peer Supporter

Evening all (in the UK at least... :)),

I'd like to share a development in my TMS journey over the weekend. Allow me to indulge, as this is the biggest development for me I think since learning about TMS.

On Friday my wife and I went out for afternoon tea as a treat while my mother looked after our son. We had a good afternoon. My pain was moderate, having crept up a little over the last week or so from the lower levels I'd managed to get it to. After returning we went shopping a little in the afternoon and then came home. We ate out evening meal, and as we did so I noticed a familiar sharp pain appearing on the right side of my back. This got worse over the course of the evening and by 8pm was very painful.

I rushed upstairs and grabbed SteveO's Great Pain Deception to carry on reading - I am nearing the end now and wanted to get my mind thinking in TMS mode again. I found myself getting more and more panicky as the night went on. By around 9pm, I was forcing myself to think psychological, and constantly saying that my pain was real, but nothing to worry about. I willed myself to laugh at it. I went to bed earlier than usual and read some in bed. As I went to sleep I could still feel the pain as bad as ever but was still talking to my mind saying stop it, and convincing myself that this time I wouldn't worry about the pain or what might happen.

Around half an hour after going to sleep I awoke in a terrified state - not to do with the pain, but a state I can remember from childhood where I had a feeling like something was in the room and was going to get me. I needed to cocoon myself in the covers and protect myself. I even started to have thoughts about someone coming into the room to get me. It was so strange and a sensation I've rarely felt. I drifted back off and woke a couple of times through the night. I always checked, and yes, the pain was still there and was bad. But i still tried not to worry.

In the morning my wife (wonderful woman :)) brought in a coffee for me and my son to feed (hes 19 months now - he still has a morning bottle that he loves). My pain was bad. I turned over a few times, but just picked up my book and read a little more. I picked up my coffee mug - ouch - back so painful. My son knocked me, spilt coffee. I cleaned the drips off the bed and the splash off my phone. No pain. What?

I stood up. and exclaimed to my wife 'its gone'. The pain has just gone. It literally went like that. I hadn't been so excited for ages. I went into the bathroom for my shower laughing. I still can't believe it happened but it did. The usual dull aching pain crept back a little over the day, and has been a bit bad again, but that sharp, acute pain hasn't been back yet. Its unbelievable. It has be convinced more than ever that it's TMS, and its a wonderful feeling. I beat the pain flare up this time in a matter of hours by NOT really thinking about beating it, just by trying not to worry about it and convince myself and my mind not to be scared.

In the days since I have got to Steve's chapter about visualisation, and all day I have been visualising blood flowing around my lower back. I am going to do this all day, every day.

Thanks for allowing the long post (all of you who may have got this far), but I really wanted to share. This has NEVER happened before. If my pain was structural, there is NO way it would just switch off so suddenly. Is there?

Cheers all,

Adam

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Adam. Thanks for sharing your wonderful story.
    You definitely stopped your pain by following Steve's advice.

I'm going to forward your posting to him because he loves hearing how people
    have healed from reading his book.

Visualization is powerful, and you used it wisely, picturing blood flowing to your lower back.

Keep up the good TMS work.

3. liamsmith78

liamsmith78 Peer Supporter

Hi Adam, (UK here too ;) )

Wow great story! I love the fact you made that it seems you made a "disconnection" between your back pain & mind and its disappeared!

I have a similar issue with my legs. I am new here and i have started to realize I constantly think about my legs (I mean 24/7). I realize I tense them without thinking, I can hardly walk and they are numb. I believe, if I could just cut the thought process and think of something else and not worry about the pain and believe that TMS is the cause, I will get better.

I have had instances in the past where I have gotten up without thinking because I forgot something, and no numbness. But then I think about them and i get a tingling & numb type feeling then i start walking funny and think they are going to give way. I have had other instances where my intercom goes off in my apartment (and its a loud panicky noise) and I can get off my chair, they go completely numb!

It's good to hear your progress and I hope I have a similar experience.

Kind Regards,

Liam

4. alexandra

alexandra Peer Supporter

I have a stabbing pain in my left low back which radiates down both sides, both legs, arms as well lol anyways I have had great success in reducing my symptoms tingling etc, no numbness tho, until today after my daily hill walk I bend down and felt a very tiny pull, slowly the pain has flared up badly. I will continue to use ALL the Tools available I read about and continue to enjoy life as I heal from TMS . Thank you for your story ukAdr it was exactly what I needed to ease my fears...and Liam keep reading, keep visiting the forum, use the tools, and listen to others advice. No matter how long it seems to be taking to heal, don't give up it has worked for many people, it will work for us. :)

Forest likes this.
  5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Hi, Alexandra. Your pain after your daily hill walk is probably your unconscious wanting to show its muscle, so if you keep positive about TMS healing techniques and following them, you will become free of the pain.

Liam, try not to think about the leg pain all the time. The less we think about it, the better. Try to resume your normal life and activities. Find ways to feel good and be happy.

6. alexandra

alexandra Peer Supporter

Walt you won't believe this! After writing my previous post about the pain increasing to a very painful level, I went on to read some pages of the great pain deception, I said a few affirmations, deep breathing, and told myself there's nothing wrong with my body, i told my brain to stop producing this pain and to send blood flow and oxygen to my back, soon the panicky feeling I was having eased and I went to bed, slept well and woke up completely pain free! Only a tiny bit of tingling in my feet is left...if there was an injury or pinched nerve etc causing such strong pain (throbbing and stabbing pain) there's no way it would have left over night! TMS healing is the only thing that can work like magic. It may come back or it may not, but I will continue to do as I've been doing until a full recovery. Thank you for your motivating words and thanks to everyone else in this forum! :)

Ellen likes this.
  7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Alexandra, how wonderful. You did all the right TMS thinking and things and had such a great pay back.
    I'm going to save your reply and share it with some others. A woman whose husband is a paramedic but has
    developed body pains that have kept him bedridden, although doctors find nothing wrong with him.
    His wife believes in TMS and has to convince him that's the cause of his pains. Your post can inspire him.

alexandra likes this.
  8. chickenbone

chickenbone Well known member

Hi Adam. It sounds like by taking SteveĀ“s advice and thinking psychological about your pain got your mind to a point where you were able to recall in consciousness a scary event from your past that may have been at least partly responsible for your pain. I find that just getting into the habit of thinking psychologically, instead of accepting the familiar assumption that our pain must originate from a physical cause, tends to lessen our pain over time. I almost always, now, think of what might be bothering me when I feel pain. Then, once I have identified a possible cause, such as repressing anger or grief, the pain no longer takes me over, like the fear that it will never leave or get worse. I feel like I have some control over the pain. This allows me to refrain from dwelling on the pain. I just notice it and let it just be there. The next thing I know, it is just no big deal. The pain subsides and I forget about it.

9. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

10. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

That's great, chickenbone. You're programming your mind not to let a pain take you over and to
    accept it as being caused by something psychological. I'm all for that.

11. liamsmith78

Hi Walt,

thanks for the advice. It helped a lot :) . I try to keep myself occupied more and more but its so hard.

Thanks,

Liam

12. liamsmith78

Thanks Alexandra,

I am trying so hard and I am new at this. I hope to god i feel some recovery soon :( . my life is so hard and I feel for everybody here!

Thanks,

Liam

13. UkAdR

UkAdR Peer Supporter

LiamSmith - Thinking about the pain is so, so frustrating. I am the same - i wake in the morning and think about my lower back. Sometimes, I feel the pain and then canb't help but think about it, but other times i know that i don't feel it but think about it and check to see if its there. Of course then i feel it and then can't help but think about it.... How are you doing now? Any changes?

Alexandra - your last words are perhaps the ones i needed to hear - it doesn't matter how long we take to heal. I am telling myself that over and over but have hit a bit of a wall at the moment - i am struggling to see the light at the end of the tunnel and am getting frustrated at the lack of current progress. I need to keep reminding myself of that Saturday morning....! How are you at the moment? I hope you're walking more! :)

14. UkAdR

UkAdR Peer Supporter

Walt - thanks for your input - I don't get on my computer that much and usually check the forum from my phone which takes too long to reply. Its always great to see your thoughts, so thanks again :)