1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Am I perpetuating the problem?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Bhamgirl, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Bhamgirl

Bhamgirl Peer Supporter

So, I've been struggling a good bit lately. Actually, a lot. Anyhoo, I've tried to step back and evaluate many aspects of what may be hindering my progress. One area that causes me a little confusion is that Dr. Sarno clearly states that any and all treatments that are structural in nature must be stopped in order for complete healing. As such, I've stopped the chiropractic appointments, the seat cushions, the acupuncture, etc. However, I do continue on with bi-weekly massages. Additionally, as I drive (a time when my pain increases dramatically), I constantly use the seat warmers and use a tennis ball to roll around on my back. It's something like 407 degrees here in Florida right now, and here I am still using my seat warmers because it helps me get from point A to point B with a little less pain. I also sleep with an ice pack and a warm wrap, not necessarily for pain, but more of a comfort, sleep-inducing ritual.

With that said, am I hindering my progress and perpetuating my back problems by continuing these things? I think my confusion lies in where one modality crosses over from simply being a relaxant/something that feels GREAT into something that causes me to focus on my body and the pain. Sometimes separating those two, especially with massage, is quite difficult...

Emily

2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Sounds like you've got a good handle on the TMS theory. It does take some time for it to sink into the sub-c and for symptoms to fade. It's good you're eliminating the the chiroquacktic and accu, I did hundreds of those sessions and what a waste of time and MONEY for voo-doo! The massages are good as long as you understand they are not for repairing anything structural. They are good for leveling out the RAGE/SOOTHE RATIO, preventing life's stresses from bursting out in TMS tension symptoms. Using tennis balls by me for anything is good, eventually maybe you can progress from rolling on them to hitting them on the courts, smacking the fuzzy ball can be good for releasing tension and getting some exercise. Ice and heated seats are OK in my book for relieving the pain as long as you have the TMS belief that the pain is TMS and not seriously structural.

Ellen likes this.
  3. NIClubber

NIClubber Peer Supporter

I also think it would be good to significantly reduce your massages - possibly reduce them slowly as Sarno states that having physical treatments to your body will perpetuate your conscious' mind that there is something physical wrong with your body.

As long as you have had serious illness ruled out by a fully qualified physician, then your next step is likely to be to significantly reduce your massages.

I went through a lot of what you talked about and it did very little for me, possibly the chiro only made things worse. I also went for monthly massages, and although I got to be friends with the masseuse on social media, it did very little else for me.

4. Ines

Ines Well known member

It sounds like you know the difference between needing it and doing it just for comfort. Since that's the case then it just takes time and everyone is different. Massage is a tricky one because it is stress relieving and nurturing. Maybe cut down from twice a week to once a week?