1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Am a bit down today

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by IndiMarshall, Jul 2, 2015.

1. IndiMarshall

IndiMarshall Well known member

I was doing very well with my SEP and Reading through HBP but yesterday when my Cousins Came to see me, I sat in the Chair for long time showing them some stuff on lappy and after they left I had this muscle spasm in my low back and didn't recover from it since yesterday.

Whenever my recovery is jolted by incidents like these, I forget all the good work I have done so far for Couple weeks and recovery I made.

This is so nasty. Whenever the pain comes back all I think is structural.
    Its hard to sit, stand or sleep without pain. I cant engage in any activity too due to pain. Even Pain killers don't work.

Please give you suggestions.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  2. Zumbafan

Zumbafan Well known member

Sounds like your cousins visit triggered something within you. Ask yourself WHY this happened? Don't worry about this set back, it is normal in TMS healing. When we internalise rage, it disrupts our autonomic nervous system. That reduces blood flow, causes havoc in your body, so your back went into spasm. Nothing to be fearful about once you understand what is happening. Try and connect the emotion with the symptom.
    Remember you are OK.

3. IndiMarshall

hi Zumbafan, i dont think their visit triggered the incident but i have put myself under physical stress which i am not ready to bear yet.
    As Dr Sarno said physical stress can act as trigger , i am sure this is the issue.

4. AndrewMillerMFT

AndrewMillerMFT Well known member

Hi Indi,

I'd be curious what your self-talk is at this time. It sounds like the self-talk goes to a place of, "this must be physical." What if you let your mind know, "that you know it is trying to get you to think physical again, trying to keep the strategy going." Many people do this using Sarno's technique of yelling at their mind which can be very effective but for some of us, the yelling can perpetuate those personality characteristics that give us TMS. You may also try speaking gently but sternly to yourself too. Much in the same way you would address a child.

Sounds like you're doing great!

Best-

IndiMarshall likes this.
  5. Elena99

Elena99 New Member

Pain killers didn't work for me either. The reason for that is because it's TMS, so maybe if you reinforce that, it'll help? Next time you feel pain, remind yourself that pain killers don't work on you for that pain. Therefore, the cause is NOT structural, but psychological. It's a solid fact to hold on to.

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Indi. I echo Elena and the others. Keep believing your pain is psychological, from TMS, and not structural.

IndiMarshall likes this.
  7. IndiMarshall

Thanks Andrew.. Its helpful

8. IndiMarshall

Yes this is a good sign....

9. IndiMarshall

Sure Walt..

10. 575

575 Peer Supporter

In times like these you always have to remember your progress, don't back down.
    This can be said about every psychological issue, for example OCD.
    They try to get you into the circle again, realize what's happening and ignore the pathetic attempt at controlling you.