1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

*almost a success story....

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by TheKingAdRock, Oct 7, 2016.

1. TheKingAdRock

TheKingAdRock New Member

well i do consider myself to be successful but not 100% 'recovered'. i have made HUGE improvements over the last 5-6 months.

i remember setting one of my goals while going over the SEP earlier this year in march or april to be back working a job by August...well i had a job doing physical work at the start of May! and i've been there ever sense. i haven't missed a day!

also sense March i have been back exercising regularly and INTENSELY! i haven't missed a workout due to TMS pain sense!

i've also been able to do other physical activities without FEAR of the pain. playing and running in the park w/ my niece, playing with and walking my dog, going on hikes through the woods etc....and doing simple things such as bending down to pick up a frying pan from the bottom cabinet without FEAR!

getting over the FEAR has been my main focus and imo is a key to success. i feel i have done that but i am still having some pain symptoms so i don't yet consider myself fully recovered. i think to be fully recovered i'm going to have to start working more on the emotions i'm repressing and to do so i'm going to start back on the SEP (i never finished it the first time).

2. Reddog

Reddog New Member

Wow, That sounds really amazing! The fear is the hardest part to get past it seems. I wish you all the best and congratulate you on achieving your goals!

3. TheKingAdRock

TheKingAdRock New Member

yes it is hard to get over the fear of the pain but in my experience it is such a key part. i think something that has helped me a lot is to not 'hide' from the pain. don't alter your posture or movements to not feel the pain.

4. Reddog

Reddog New Member

Yea, I try not to pamper myself to avoid the pain. I'm actually really bad about constantly trying to nudge it to see if it's gone entirely away yet. I am a believer in body mechanics and ergonomics though. Not over the top $1000 work stations, etc but I do believe we have to use the same common sense to protect our backs when we put them under a load as we do the rest of our bodies when we stress them.