1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

All came back after a pilates course

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Xara, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Xara

Xara Peer Supporter

I need some piece of advice....
    My first symptom in my tms journey was neck and upper back pain. I managed through the program and Sarno's books to decrease it to minimum. I thought it was past... I wasn't thinking of it
    Yesterday I had a pilates course, first time after almost a year I had such an activity, it was really good, I enjoyed it.
    But afterwards and today I feel like I am living those days... Pain at neck, arms, upper back... Feel weak...acute symptoms. I did not do any intense exercise. In addition, I was swimming all summer and nothing happened, on the contrary I felt better. I am not at all careful with my neck since I follow the sarno's method. Nothing ever happened...
    Any idea? Is it the memory which did this? Is it the exercises which triggered these points? Trainer asked if I had any myosceletic problem and I answered that I had neck pain in the past... Is it this? Is it possible to trigger all these symptoms just by a statement? Or the memories from the time I tried to feel better with similar exercises?

2. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

The pilates class is not the cause of your pain. Your fears and thoughts about the activity are. It's simply a trigger or learned response (learned pain). Your anxiety latched on to this association with an innocuous activity. Pilates is not dangerous and is beneficial and enjoyable as you yourself know and experienced. Your fears got the best of you though and the brain took over. If you can see it for what it is...harmless and know that these sensations are just false alarms, you can relax in that knowledge. You didn't hurt yourself and nothing is damaged or harmed. Keep reminding yourself you are fine and go about your day because you are fine.

Xara likes this.
  3. samuelp180

samuelp180 Peer Supporter

I understand. I have been there. Pain free and then went to go mountain biking and the boom! Out of no where. I am now better. It was due to a conditioned response due to my FEAR of physical movement- I am now much better. I would look into how to not fear working out and how to decondition a response to a stimuli.

miffybunny likes this.