1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Alan Gordons Program

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Boston Redsox, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

As anybody done it and I would like to know how it compares with the Sep

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I'd be very interested to hear that as well. I found the program that Alan wrote to be extremely helpful. Somewhat humorously, Alan once pointed out to me one day that the TMS Recovery Program (TRP) is more educational than the Structured Educational Program. I think the SEP is popular because it has journaling that guides people through a process of personal growth. In comparison, I would describe the TRP as teaching people how to be kind to themselves, using recorded consultations to help people really see how it was done. I certainly learned a great deal about myself from participating in the teleconferences during which the audio was recorded.

I suspect that the SEP gets a great deal of visibility because it is tied in to the forum, so people can see how it is helping people and want to give it a try. The TRP is an incredible gem, though. Being an economist, I tend to trust people to be able to judge what they find helpful, and I'll note that the main page of the TRP has been viewed a whopping 2,371 times by real people (not bots) in the last 30 days. That's a lot of people thinking it is helpful!

The big challenge with the TRP, is that it is like an instruction manual. In some sense, it's like reading a book about exercise. You have to do the hard work of figuring out how it applies to your own life and then do the additional work of becoming kinder to yourself. The goal of the "Reader's Guide" and the "Official Threads Project" is to give people more exercises (and perhaps some structure) so they get the most out of it along the way:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Community_Resources_for_the_TMS_Recovery_Program

Like I said, though, I'd really love to hear other people's takes on this. You folks are my eyes and ears and I really need to know what we should invest in, going forward.

North Star and Anne Walker like this.
  3. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Forest, just a suggestion, but is there a way of including a basic feedback questionnaire/form at the end of the programs?

North Star likes this.
  4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle