1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

After yoga...

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Stephanie71, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Stephanie71

Stephanie71 Peer Supporter

My pain and symptoms are worse after yoga. Yoga was my big love before it was “taken” from me when I started having TMS symptoms at 18. I go back and forth to doing it consistently because it still sometimes causes fear. The thing is, I usually feel pretty good during it, even if I have mild symptoms. The movement and mindfulness of yoga is very meaningful to me. But after I feel worse and the sciatica and nerve feelings are exacerbated, all in my left leg. I get this a bit from any exercise actually, but yoga is the most prominent and frustrating. When I get these flares I start to doubt it’s tms and think I need to get more testing and possibly surgery. I also still have symptoms sitting cross legged, like the nerve is being tugged? Could this be from neural pathways? It’s so chronic at this point. Any advice?

2. Stephanie71

Stephanie71 Peer Supporter

Sorry, that’s really not helpful

3. joshcm

joshcm Peer Supporter

I had/have the same during and or after specific movements and exercises - namely flexion moving/bending forwards etc. The fear can take hold and convince you its something more than it is - it isn't, stay strong and remind yourself that your brain can be very convincing.

4. backtobasics

backtobasics New Member

While I don't have any advice, as I'm a novice when it comes to TMS, I so strongly empathize with how frustrating (and maybe scary) it is to have the things we love most be wrestled from us. Hang in there! Sending you support.

5. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

Although you didn't like my suggestion, it was actually given with some thought to your circumstances that you described...I have found that if I try other/new mindful-type disciplines which involve doing new/different movements with my body for a while, I am then usually able to go back to what I like and prefer doing the most; my body seems to like the change. I just thought that your body might respond in an equally positive manner. I wouldn't have bothered replying to your comment (as above) as it upset me a bit (which is why my first reaction was to delete my original posting) but, upon reflection, I thought that maybe I didn't explain well enough the reason for my suggestion; however, I obviously appreciate that, even with better explanation, it might still not appeal to you at all. So, anyway, this response is made with an open heart and I wish you all the best on your healing journey.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  6. untangledweb

untangledweb Peer Supporter

I went to yoga about a week ago, for the first time in a month. I really should’ve relaxed and backed off, but I didn’t. The next day I woke up with a migraine and some of the worst pain I’ve had in a long time. I knew I’d overextended my neck, by doing about a bajillion planks and down dogs. I didn’t have any problem while doing them, but I knew I was doing too many. It was about four days after that when I was able to go back to yoga after seeing my acupuncturist. I know we’re not supposed to feed into the pain and discomfort and actually seek treatment for it, because we know it’s in her head. But I have little choice in the matter.
    I had been feeling pretty well and even was able to decrease my Lyrica, but of weird emotional flyer has kind of gotten me for the last couple weeks. I’m even having a lot of problems with my phone, which sucks, because I do reflexology and yoga. I’m probably having feelings, or issues with my right hand, because an old boyfriend and still a very good friend has found a new love. He was always kind of my “right hand man”.
    This adventure we call life...ugh